What's new

She won't start

mac5

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.0 SE Executive
Hi All,

Got home from work last night (in a bit of light snow) and parked the car away from my usual parking spot, in a car park nearby.

Went to start her this morning for work and she just turns but won't fire, with a clicking sound.

No idea where to start with this, I would imagine either ignition or starter?

Any advice appreciated.

She's a 2000 2.0 Vtec.

The battery is in pretty good shape, I've cleaned the terminals up anyway, but it isn't old.

Is it turning over slowly, then clicking?

It sounds like the battery doesent have enough juice to me?

Agree fed with the anove

check voltage of battery with multimeter. if it is fine and it still does not crank then it is possibility that starter motor is failing (most of all it is stater motor switch ***y's fault. not contacting). then you can try turn on engine by towing the car... if it still does not turn on then check spark-plugs for spark or fuel pump.

An amazing comprehensive reply again from Linas...think you deserve a medal dude.

Thanks guys, I'll get a look at it over the weekend. I'm not needing it at the moment (having too much fun with my partner's new Alfa).

Craig, ignore Rob :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Which Alfa did she buy??? I love Alfas.

Dying battery(cranking power) or sticking solenoid.

try using jump cables to start it, if that doesn't work give the solenoid a few "whack's" with a breaker bar and try starting again.

I agree with what others have said about the battery but if it's not that, check the fuel pump relay as it's a common fault.

Hi guys, sorry, didn't update this one!

New battery (as the old one was KNACKERED), and she ran.