What's new

Shocking Prices

GordyC

Members
Reaction score
Car
53 Accord Sport CTDI
This morning I got a bit if a surprise when the power from my engine just died on me. My car is a 53 plate 2.2 CDTi Sport with 103k on the clock.

The engine was still cold and as I pulled away from a junction the power seemed to disappear. I put it into second gear with the same result, then in 3rd the car started to pick up very slowly. Enough to get me home. The engine didn't appear to go into limp mode (it started to rev freely again) however the engine management light came on.

I let the car stand for a bit then fired the engine up for a few minutes but the engine management kept coming on (before actually turning the engine over).

I took it for a run and all seemed well other than the engine management light. I phoned my local Honda garage who advised I hook it up to their diagnostic machine....at a cost of £84!!!! But they said it might be a fault that could be cleared or it might lead to something more serious......

As luck would have it, I took the car out for a final run and for an unknown reason the light has now gone out.

I don't know if this was just some blockage in the fuel line or filter but recently I've been getting a slight hiccup on a steady throttle - 35mph in 3rd gear feathering the throttle.

I'm unsure if this is connected but I was curious as to whether or not anyone else has had a similar problem.

The fuel filter is OEM (Bosch) and got changed a few months ago.

Thanks.

Cliffordski said:
Now might be a good time to invest in a code reader. A ten pound one would do the job.
I did think about this earlier......any recommendations?

Thanks

It isn't too late to read the code... they get stored until actively deleted.

If you have an Android device, get a cheap ELM327 Bluetooth OBD2 adaptor from eBay and get the Torque app from Google play.

Jon_G said:
get a cheap ELM327 Bluetooth OBD2 adaptor from eBay and get the Torque app from Google play.
thanks Jon, just bought one; can't believe how cheap they are; bye bye to garage hook-ups for £40 a go!

Just bought one from a UK seller. £3 more, but 1 week delivery instead of a month. For £8 I'll be happy if it just gives me the fault codes.

My car has behaved since it's little spat on Thursday, so I just want to find out what happened. Seeing as how the fault has gone, and I did another 30 mile 70mph cruise control trip today (which is what I was doing when it went AWOL on Thurs) I don't think it's an actual issue, more likely just a dodgy sensor connector.