What's new

Sidelight problem

Mcgartland

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda
I scraped the side of my splitter on a high kerb last week, so i left in it to a body shop to get it sprayed, the night before I left it down I noticed my sidelight on driver side wasnt working, so I quickly took a look and noticed how hidden away and looked online and it seems to be a pig of a job to do. (im one of them people who break everything when doing DIY so i leave it to others).
Anyway i left it in to bodyman and told him could he stick a sidelight bulb in it. I landed today to collect car and he informed me the headlight has got no sidelight bulb holder and the wires are cut.. Can anyone point me in the right direction of where I could get a sidelight bulb holder and what bulb it takes? Anyone know if this will be a big job?the wires are present just not connected to anything!

PS: I want to get my accord looking to the way I want it before i post pics in members gallery..

Thanks in Advance

Tony

Very odd indeed Tony has it ever worked ? Your best bet is your local Honda dealer for this part.
The bulb type is a 501 if you can get one at maplins cheaper.

Honda will want to sell you the whole loom. Go to a breakers yard and find an Accord and cut the bulb holder off yourself and re wire it on to your loom. Its your only option. unless you are made of money.

P.s its an easy job to change. to re wire it though you will need to remove the headlight.

Yeah I will try my local dealer for the part tomorrow. According to the body-man the car has had a small slap on the driver side headlight area, no chassis damage just pushed bumper in at a stage. There is no damage noticeable he said but who ever fixed it must have broke of the bulb holder for some reason. This could be the reason for condensation in the headlight. I have tried a few places breaking accords and they are looking me to buy the complete headlight!!

Yeah I will try my local dealer for the part tomorrow. According to the body-man the car has had a small slap on the driver side headlight area, no chassis damage just pushed bumper in at a stage. There is no damage noticeable he said but who ever fixed it must have broke of the bulb holder for some reason. This could be the reason for condensation in the headlight. I have tried a few places breaking accords and they are looking me to buy the complete headlight!!
In that case try Maplins or a good electrical component shop im sure they will come up with something.

Hear you go Tony your part is number 21 i believe ;)
Your dealers will have the same part as this so just double check this part.

http://www.hondaoriginalparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=17SEA01&block_02=B__0800&block_03=2848

Absolute gentleman! I was trawling the net for a parts catalog but could i find one!! Hopefully I will get it sorted with out a major headache!

Absolute gentleman! I was trawling the net for a parts catalog but could i find one!! Hopefully I will get it sorted with out a major headache!
:) A simple and cheap replacement fingers crossed.Just something to add the part numbers on lings are different to Honda Dealers but still the same parts.
There is a thread hear somewhere if you take out the pft in the web address it converts to Honda part numbers but have a search and have some fun finding it :)

My honda dealer is only about 1mile away so I will nip over in the morning and see what they can do. Cheers!!

Good man Tony let us no how you get on mate

Item 21 is just the socket. Surely if the wires have been cut it is the loom that actually plugs in to the socket that you actually need.

That socket has to get power from somewhere.

Hopefully i am wrong but having changed my sidelight bulbs quite a few times i can safely say that there are wires that come out the back of that socket.

ok so Crespo was correct! Went today and lifted the part and I noticed that i need another plug to connect to the wire and then connect to the sidelight bulb holder i now have. Honda can not supply this part, the technician reckoned that I could get away with a repair job with wire connectors and connect them to the 2 pins in the sidelight socket. Has anyone any auto electrical experience and shine some light on this!
Going tomorrow to get car booked in for a full service and go over but just like to know before i go over tho my mechanic. I need both side light bulbs for MOT in July, other wise it wouldn't bother me too much..

It can be done it depends on what the socket is like.
A spade crimp connection or a soilder joint. Can you get a close up photo of the socket please.

The socket like a standard 501 socket at one end and at the other end is a 2 pin socket for another plug to go into it. Its about 15mm deep, 20mm diameter and has 2 small pins in it. ( sorry dont have any pics at moment)

The socket like a standard 501 socket at one end and at the other end is a 2 pin socket for another plug to go into it. Its about 15mm deep, 20mm diameter and has 2 small pins in it. ( sorry dont have any pics at moment)
I would say take it to Maplins and see if they have a plug to fit if not solder the 2 cables to the 2 pins job done.
Have a look something like this but take the socket down to check the size.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/battery-connectors-1397

Mate just cut the plug off an Accord that is being broken and save youself a lot of bother by joining it to your existing loom. you risk royaly messing up your ellectrics if you get it wrong.

You wouldnt cut and shut a kettle so dont do it to your car.

Therer are plenty of Accords being broken on Ebay.

I emailed a few places on ebay that are breaking accords and their all looking for your to either buy whole headlight or loom. Im taking it to a person who knows what their at and let them do the work. I wouldn't wire a plug id blow the half the road to bits..

you may laugh but its true,If a hammer doesnt fix it, send it to a professional.. You could tell i was a welder by trade..lol

Job sorted, left the car into and got full service, oil + air filter, oil, new discs and pads on rear and new fan belt. Asked mechanic to take a look at sidelight, came back few hours later, all done + sidelight fixed! He works in mot centre (in northern Ireland) and told me the cars in great condition and everything's really good and tight except for some bushing in rear, so get them sorted in next few weeks.. :D

Yeah, was kind of worrying about it, one of them things that can turn into an awful expensive handling. So car is ready for a good driving now! :rolleyes:

Great result fella glad it's sorted