What's new

Simple mod reccommended by mechanic worth anything?

brainii

Members
Reaction score
Car
accord
Hi all,
I asked my mechanic who owns a civic type r (and spend around 7000 euro modifying it), if there's any worthwhile mod to the 2.0 Type s engine.
He said it's all money down the drain, except for (and I don't know how else to describe it, I'm not mechanically knowledgeable):

changing one of the "round things" in the engine (that the rubber belt passes over) to a bigger one. (see picture to see what I mean).
He said this will allow the car to go through the rpm faster, so will accelerate faster.
this can be done for cheap..
Is it worth it and will it affect MOT / life of car?
Thanks

Dude you have to upload your pics to a hosting site like imageshack and then reference the link from there. It can't be done from your local machine

Hmm... either he's an idiot, or he thinks you are!

This would immediately wreck the engine.

Maybe it's not the same round thingy but a different one?
Please add some detail, he said he's done it in his own car and saw real benefits.
(he is prob an idiot, having spend all that money for a 50hp increase)..

Sounds like he's talking about underdrive pulleys. A few of the guys I know with Preludes use them as they reduce parasitic drag on the engine which in turn frees up a little bit of power and torque. I can't say for the K series engines, but so far I've heard of no problems running them on the H series engines on the Prelude forum I'm on.

For getting your car to rev up faster a lightened flywheel would probably be a better approach though, I've been meaning to get one for my Prelude for a while now

I ummed and ahhhed about a lightened flywheel, but glad i got one, it is one of the best mods i have done.

usually the first mod ANYONE does is make it breathe properly, filter, eggsauce then go from there. you can do Lightened pulleys which do free up a couple of horseys but they are normally on a big list further down the line, Si has done his ATR.