What's new

Slight whiff of fuel in cabin on startup

stonesfan

Members
Reaction score
Car
1999 Accord V6 Coupe
Hi

Have noticed in the last few weeks or so a slight pong of petrol in the cabin every few starts. I've noticed that fuel economy seems to be down slightly too.

Anything obvious that I should be checking?

cheers

Fuel line? Have you got someone to start the car with the bonnet up and you can check for any escaping gases?

I get this aswell, and I was possibly expecting something to be picked up on my mot, but nothing :huh:

I get the smell in my other car. I did the whole start up with the bonnet up, and I could pin point it was the turbo, that's why I suggested it, but off the top of my head all I can think is fuel line or a gasket somewhere.

As others have said, fuel lines are a likely culprit. Check the ones under the car by the brake pipes for rust/leaks also worth checking the tank itself, but that's worst case.

Have revised my thoughts on the matter slightly. It quite possible that the smell isn't actually fuel but more of an 'exhaust gas' odour. Spent a good 30 mins under the car and in the bonnet inspecting the fuel lines. All seems to be okay in that dept. No obvious 'petrol' smell anywhere to be honest.

Just something I noticed with the bonnet open, when I turn the engine off, there's a brief sound of air either being sucked in or blasted out. This might be perfectly normal operation?

MOT is coming up in a few weeks. Maybe they will pick something up.

Good shout about the exhaust gas. Get checking that mani and gaskets :lol:

Good shout about the exhaust gas. Get checking that mani and gaskets :lol:

Hmmm, had a good 'fumble' around the manifolds with my hands. Couldn't feel any escaping gases. I guess if its running a bit 'rich', should that show up on the MOT emissions?

Car went through MOT with absolutely no advisories. I asked them to scrutinise the fuel and exhaust as still getting a slight hint of fuel/exhaust on startup. They didn't find anything here.

Is there anything that a T4 Diagnostics may discover? Did a couple of benchmarks on fuel consumption and getting around 17.7 mpg around town in rush hour traffic. I presume thats probably about right for my car.