What's new

Slipping Clutch, DMF Failure

Robaloy

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer 8th
I have a 2009 2.2 I dtec Accord Tourer that I bought in March this year from Main Honda Dealer with an Approved Honda Warranty, now admittedly the car had done 92k and this was my only concern when buying the car but I was ***ured that the car was sound and being a Honda they rarely go wrong. However having only had the car 6 months and having done about 5k of steady economical driving I have noticed a slight clutch slip especially in 3rd/4th gear, so at my service/mot last week (at a different Honda dealer) I asked them to look at the clutch. I got a call later that day to say my clutch was on it's way out and the DMF was "knocking" and would need to be replaced as well as the clutch at a cost of £1930!!!!!! Having picked myself up from the floor I then informed them that it was an approved Honda car and still had 5 months of warranty left so they said they would contact the warranty company and get back to me. I then got a call saying that they would have to drop the gearbox remove the clutch and DMF and take photos to show the warranty company if the damage had been caused by abuse, reckless driving or neglect etc but they still would not commit to stumping up for the full cost of replacing as they consider the clutch to be a wearing part lol (had several cars with over 100k on clock never had a clutch problem) but surely the DMF is not a wearing part and therefore should be changed under warranty but I'm sure they said they wouldn't change one without the other, so surely they should change both under warranty! This is my 1st Honda and loved it until now, I bought it to be a reliable family car after the Renault nightmare I've had for the last 6 years and now it looks like my Honda is heading the same way! Any thoughts on how I should handle this as I'm sure Honda want to help but the insurers are not playing ball?!!

Rob as John said give Honda UK a call and be very polite to them and explain this to them.
Im sure they will be able to help as 5K on an approved car is nothing.
The only concern i have it had high mileage on when you brought the car and it is a wear and tear thing.
But best of luck and keep us all updated.

Well my faith has been restored in Honda, esp City Honda Basingstoke who replaced clutch and DMF all under warranty, didn't cost me a penny phew! :D

Well my faith has been restored in Honda, esp City Honda Basingstoke who replaced clutch and DMF all under warranty, didn't cost me a penny phew! :D

There you go!! not all car dealers are charlatans, just stand firm. Happy this turned out not to be an ANNE ROBINSON episode.

Great result Rob