What's new

slug....

Timberfake

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord v-tec s
my car has always done this but now decided to find out if it is a problem.. basically up until 2500 the car really slugs really bad then at 2500 the suddenly doesn't struggle its pretty much like a vtec cross over but now Im looking to find out why as Ive never had a car that has done this before... so any ideas would help...?

Might be worth giving the EGR plate a clean if you haven't already, I understand this often contributes to poor running. There should be a write up on here somewhere, just run a quick search and it should come up :)

Is your's a 1.8? Mine is, and it is pretty poop below 2500, think it's just how the engine works, but if it is really bad, as in it's almost not going anywhere, then it might be a problem.

Yeah it is a 1.8 I know its a big car for it to pull but I only question it as at 2500 rpm the car pulls forward it's not smooth...

First suggestion would be the EGR plate and valve see if that frees it up a bit. But tbh the 6th gens are pretty much useless under 2500rpm.

Mines not too bad under 2500 even with the egr light on :/
Still don't know where the damn thing is and Honda are charging in excess of 400 to do it

It's on top of the inlet manifold, consists of a metal plate running perpendicular to the manifold between the plenum chamber and cylinder head, and the actual EGR valve is bolted on to the manifold to the left of this (your left as you look at it). At least I think that's right, it's been a while since I stripped all that out my car, I spend most my time looking at H series engines now :p at any rate I'll try and get out to my parts pile and take a photo if it'll help.

Also, my old Golf runs like a **** at low revs when the air filter and fuel filter get filled with crud - whilst I never had any trouble with these on my Accord, it might be something to look at if you haven't had a service in a while Timberfake

below 2,500 rpm they are gutless, owned a 2.0l and that was the same until it got in to its stride and vtec kicked in. What is the type R like simon( or anyone who owns one)

My Prelude has an earlier H series engine, it's fairly torquey. I drive around under 2500 RPM a lot and rarely need to shift down to speed up with the traffic. The BB4 only weighs 1200 Kilos or so though so not too much weight to shift. I think off the top of my head the H22A in it develops 165 foot pounds or so iirc. Don't quote me on that though :lol:

*Edit - it's 161.5 foot pounds according to Wikipedia

below 2,500 rpm they are gutless, owned a 2.0l and that was the same until it got in to its stride and vtec kicked in. What is the type R like simon( or anyone who owns one)
......Gutless mate. They pull alright if you don't mash the throttle at low revs, then as has been described already on this thread there is a little kick once you get over 2000ish rpm, then a BIIIIIIG kick once you hit 5600rpm mwahahaha :lol: :lol:

......Gutless mate. They pull alright if you don't mash the throttle at low revs, then as has been described already on this thread there is a little kick once you get over 2000ish rpm, then a BIIIIIIG kick once you hit 5600rpm mwahahaha :lol: :lol:
Is this for the 2.0?
I don't think I've ever been over 5600RPM, so deprived :(

No Yad mate, was describing the ATR :lol: :lol: Seems most engines apart from maybe the 2.3 in the Type V are gutless with no revs.

I think I know why mines pretty fast!
A guy called nate advised me that I might have a speshul F20B6

The 2.3 isn't all that fast either - it's only 150 brake and it's a lot of car to lug around.

Once it's up to 40ish though it is alright.

If I coupled figure out how to get the Torque App to show 0-60 times I'd be able to give you a definitive figure of just how not fast it is!

I think I know why mines pretty fast!
A guy called nate advised me that I might have a speshul F20B6
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Colin is yours the 2.0 or 2.3 mate. A chap called Ben on here used to have the 2.3 type V and said that it was actually alright at lower revs.

Mine is the 2.3. I have always felt that in the low gears it just doesn't have the "get up and go" until about 3.5K revs, and then it seems you are ragging the backside out of it from 4.5 upwards.

When overtaking it will pull quite nicely from 4th & 5th from about 3k revs.

Maybe it is just because I am used to it on LPG now, and it seems that I am constantly dragging my rear brake pads.

This morning I ran out of gas so was on petrol and I gave it some beans in 3rd out of a 30 zone and was pleasantly surprised with how it responded.

Maybe there is life in the old girl yet! :)

I seem to find that in gear pull is better than off the line, i.e from a standing start in first gear unless you give it some serious beans you really don't go anywhere, I've had a few scary moments at junctions before I got used to driving it, but once you are moving, say in four or fifth at around 2000rpm, you can just plant your foot down and it builds up speed nicely.