What's new

Smoke from obd port in 2000 accord 1.8

solidity

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda accord CG 1.8
Hi.

Just tried to read the malfunction codes from my honda accord with my pals (some chinese peace of s****) OBD reader, but when I sticked the reader to OBD port. Smoke came out from it, and now the car won't start. And the check engine light isn't flashing when I try to start the car. Is ECU broken?

Hello Niko.
We encourage new members to introduce themselves before posting question. You will get a better response.
Now I think you've answered your own question here, sounds like at the least you have blown some fuse or something. However the obd port is a direct link to the ecu so damage may have been done. I would start by checking the fuses.

Done. There's a topic in newbies section telling something about myself :). I checked the fuse for ecu, and it was fine. Is there any possibility that any other fuse is gone? If not then I guess it's new ecu for my baby..

if you get deails of the reader it might help

also someone here may have wiring details for the ODB port on the 6th gen 1.8 ???

Damn - you wouldn't have thought there was enough current through the OBD to cause smoke let alone damage (other than uploading dodgy software of course).

Ok, so I'm almost certain the obd reader shortcutted these 2 pins I've marked in the picture in this link:
http://img547.imageshack.us/img547/4748/20130304212051961.jpg
Does anyone have the pinout for the obd port?

This is scary I am looking for your spec model is this a common thing ?

I would safely say no its not common fault, I've serviced & repaired countless 6th gens with no issues with the port, I would think the reader is to blame, unless the car had previous fault or shorted component :eek: hence why the reader was being used?

I would safely say no its not common fault, I've serviced & repaired countless 6th gens with no issues with the port, I would think the reader is to blame, unless the car had previous fault or shorted component :eek: hence why the reader was being used?

Because the check engine light is on? And I tried to find out why it is on

just goes to show the dangers of using chinese junk.

as for the ecu, you would be better getting one from a scrap yard considering the year of the car.

someone here can probably dig up some diagrams of that ecu though., have you checked every fuse, under the hood and near the footwell?

Thank god there was only one blown fuse under the hood. Just double checked every single fuse and replace the blown fuse and now my baby runs like it's supposed to. Thanks everyone for helping me :)

Glad it got resolved dude.

Yeah, most likely that chinese obd reader caused the fuse to melt. Tried another obd reader and it worked perfectly. And got error code p0132, so that means lambda. Any tips where i could get a decent one? They cost honey here in finland :/

Yeah, most likely that chinese obd reader caused the fuse to melt. Tried another obd reader and it worked perfectly. And got error code p0132, so that means lambda. Any tips where i could get a decent one? They cost honey here in finland :/

Pre CAT sensor NTK QZA501-H17 (Manual)
Pre CAT sensor NTK QZA421-H1 (Auto's)
Back CAT sensor NTK QZA333-H19

These will be perfect for 1.8 6th Gen Accord, used them myself no issues ;)

Pre CAT sensor NTK QZA501-H17 (Manual)
Pre CAT sensor NTK QZA421-H1 (Auto's)
Back CAT sensor NTK QZA333-H19

These will be perfect for 1.8 6th Gen Accord, used them myself no issues ;)

Do you mean OZA501-H17 for manual? Because I can't find any lambdas with QZA501-H17 :)

eBay UK, using international sellers or try this item number: 221034551865 for an example ;)

Thanks, bought that today. Similar lambda costs 135€ here in finland :/. So I saved like 70 euros. Everything is so god damn expensive here