Drejc112

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord 2012
Im on a mission to soundproof my front doors, i have Size: 30cm X 50cm
Thickness: 5mm
Quantity: 12pcs .
My main goal is to get rid of that horrible metalic sound when closeing the door, its like there was no inaulation inside at all. If compare the sound on my previous honda accord 2012 CU2 to this accord 2012 CW3 it sounds very very worse. Im almost sure that when ill open the front doors there will be no sound insulation on the inside of the door.
Soo that i sayed...
What is the best way to get this done? Do i insulate the whole inside of door or just put some pieces on the center where most of metal will vibrate when closeing .
If i have any left ill probably do same for rears, not that they sound horrible but wont hurt.
Ohh and yestrday i removed the carpet and tools with styrofoam in the trunk and there is some of sound insulation inside, but where the oem amp is there is non. Do i add some in the trunk or there will not be any noticeable difference?

Last edited:
Jup, just like i sayed no soundproof inside the door. I couldn’t attach picture they are too larg, but belive me. Ill try to upload it later over pc.
img116844.jpg

and after
img117423.jpg

Last edited:
I did a little sound proofing exercise on the Accord back in 2017 as little project. I do commute alot of miles (2000 miles a month) so thought it be nice to give it go.

I had lots of left over materials from a friend who sound proofed his van so he gave alot of left overs to me. I had to buy extra materials as I wated to do a boot aswell. I did all the doors and rear trunk and have to say its no Lexus IS300 but it did help reduce the road noise.

The doors are very weighty when swinging them open now, and adds to a premium feel.
Not sure I would do it again, cant imagine the weight I have added. haha.

You need a butyl base mastic type mat first, this is sticky but easy and nice to apply. You basically just roll it on. You attached this to the inside skin metal of the door (basically the inside of the outer metal)
This dampens and metallic vibrations. Once installed if you tap the outer skin of the door you will hear a thud instead of tinny metal sound.
Once you have installed that, I also installed it on the outer skin section of the door.

Once complete you install 6mm insulation foam. This self adhesive and you stick this over the top.
once complete, install the door card and noise levels shoudl be reduced.

You can repeat it for the trunk.

Alot of road noise finds it way from the trunk into the cabin as there is plenty of metal in there to resonate
The Accord is ok with insulation but I think Honda should have done a better job.

Heres a few pics

20170826_135945.jpg

20170826_141930.jpg

20170826_143108.jpg
20170819_120033.jpg

20170819_143213.jpg

As above its worth doing under the rear bench seat aswell

Here are a few links for the materials.
They are not cheap but I guess you could find cheaper alternatives

Hope this helps

Thats very nice done, thanks for replay. I used 4 panels of 30x50cm on one rear door just in the inside of the outer metal, by the look of it 12 same panels should be enough for all four doors. I bought some from aliexpress , was 14euros for the 12 panel set. Its not premium but they make a nice difference. Now im sorry I didn’t order more of them, as you sayed under the rear seats and in to the trunk I should doo too :). Ill try and make some more pictures when i doo another front door and than for the rears, a how to ?

Your welcome dude.
Good luck with the project.

The beauty is that the Accord is lovely to take apart and put back together as with all Japanese cars.
It was an enjoyable exercise

Sorry but there was no time to make a how to, with all the kids runing around i didnt make it. Its a straight job , with this panels that are 30x50cm its easy to measure where to cut them, and than easy to install, piece by piece. And the plstic of this car is very durable, not easy to brake, in fact i didn’t brake any on front door.
Back in 2010 when i had 8gen civic and i was changing front speakers the plastic just broke , even when being very careful, soo this is big step forward on this cars .
Its nice to work on cars like this, things can be done :).

I also did my front doors of my tourer, i used self adhesive closed cell foam panels and it took the empty sound out of the doors when being closed. I have been meaning to do other areas of the car but just cant get the time being a one car family!