What's new

Sourcing Driveshats - 2.4 Petrol

leighmcgough

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord 2.4
Down the local scrappy for a tenth of that price. ;)

Seriously - a properly greased set of CV joints in unsplit boots should last for many years. No reason at all why a set from the scrappy shouldn't be fine.

Alternatively, if it's just the CV joints that are knackered, they can be replaced without changing the whole driveshaft.

I'm not certain if Eric, (Toffee Pie), sourced a driveshaft or just cv joints from the USA. He had a thread up about it.... the TSX iirc is the same a Honda Accor in Europe.

that is a rip off, quite apt name too as you are getting shafted.

i got complete inner and outer joints from heel toe in california., authentic OEM parts, complete with all the rings and even lubricants.

total cost to me was about 300quid, not sure but a fraction of what honda uk charge.

my car has been solid ever since.

Re:scrappies.

There are online parts sourcing sites which send your request out to heaps of breakers, who then contact you via email with prices.

e.g. http://www.1stchoice.co.uk/car-parts/honda/accord/drive-shaft

Quite useful, because your local scrappy is maybe not likely to be breaking a 2.4.

It is easier just to change a whole driveshaft out than faffing about with changing CV joints (although quite pleasant fun of a summer's day). I used to have an old 1983-or-so Audi Coupe that ate inner CV joints for breakfast. Got to the stage where I could change out a driveshaft in about 20 minutes flat. :)

Would be daft to install a used boot by itself, but there's nothing stopping you checking boot condition before putting a used driveshaft onto your car. Given time, you're as well cleaning out the joint and re-greasing it as well.

The boots that are currently on your car are "used". No reason why a used driveshaft's boots should be in any worse nick as long as it hasn't been stored in a flexed position.