What's new

Spare keys

mac5

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.0 SE Executive
Hi All,

Having recently bought a 2000 reg Accord SE Exec, I was wondering how difficult it would be to get a spare key for it?

I've got the original key and 3-button remote, but no spare.

My main concern is locking the keys inside the car, I've already nearly locked them in the boot twice, and was wondering if I just got one cut from a blank, would it still open the doors? (Obviously wouldn't start the engine).

Or is it worth getting one coded properly to start the car?

I've only ever had one car with two sets of keys, but none that are so easy to lock the keys in the boot of.

Regards,

Craig

Can't remember does the 6th Gen come with a red/grey key that needs to be used to code new keys? Just a cut key will allow you to open the boot even if it's not coded. When I had mine if I dared to use the key to unlock the car when the alarm was armed the alarm went off.

Mine just has a black key and a 3 button fob with doors open, doors locked and boot release.

Pretty sure that a new key for a 6th gen would have to be coded to the car. Not 100% certain on this though.

Yeah the keys have transponder chips in them which relay a signal (I think) to a reciever in the barrel which turns off the imobiliser and lets the engine start so you'll have to have the key coded by Honda, I think they only charge around £35 for another key but you might need the RED key that comes with the car

I guess the RED key stays with Honda, I thing they don't give it to the client.

info on honda accord/civic/integra/crx key systems

Red Key System is supplyed with three keys two user keys and a red key to program out / in keys

if red key is lost then a new immobilzer kit must be bought and installed. this system stops the ecu sending signals to the injectors AND turns on a relay that stops the starter from working, shown by green key light flashing.

Newer Models use keys with ID48 Cristals System, thay are only supplyed with 2 keys and can be programmed through OBD2 using dealer equitment.
for key replacment all keys are erased and 2 new keys programed in. this system stops the ECU from sending signals to the injectors AND signal to the diz cap stoping spark. engine will still crank, shown by green key light flashing.

My brothers civic coupe is a 1999 model and it also has the green flashing key on the dash. However this place is Bradford cut and programmed me a new key for £45 without the need of a red key.
I would ring around mate and see what people can do.
I was also told at the time that I needed the red key which I never received.

I would also try a "key house", they might be able to duplicate the key.
Just make sure you will get a refund if it doesn't work...

sorry i should have said the red key system only needs replaced if the user wants a red key

the standerd black/gray keys can be cloned and same for the ID48 system the keys can be cloned