What's new

Spark plugs

Knightmare

Members
Reaction score
Car
7G 2.4 Type S
I took out a spark plug today to have a look at what state there in and this is what I found....

IMAG0210.jpg

IMAG0209.jpg

What do you guys reckon ? I think maybe the gaps a bit large... that gap is about 2mm or 2.2 ish mm

Paul

looks all right to me mate don't worry about it

but you did put new ones in right?

Not yet, was doing other jobs today, its on the list though ....

I think colour-wise it looks fine. That kind of brownish tan colour suggests the enigne and plugs are in pretty good condition. If they come out completely white or covered in oil, that's when you start to worry.

Gap-wise I'd get a feeler gague out and adjust the gap if you're putting them back in. Driving a diesel, I don't know what the gap should be though.

The tips of those look more corroded than i'd expect to see.

Get yourself a nice new set of shiny NGK plugsand you'll not have to worry about anything. :wub: :wub:

Yep agree give HH a call to get a great deal on service parts.

I dunno the gap looks large to me alright. I just done mine and there was electrical corrosion on the electrode of the plug, so they were well due a replacement, however, the gap didn't look that big. Put in new ones anyway and make sure you get the right ones. I recommend NGK - IZFR6K-11 make sure it does not have the S on the end, i.e. NOT IZFR6K-11S

Re the colour, the "tanned" colour can be due to additives, and looking at how much rust colour is there, they need replacement.

http://www.ngk-sparkplugs.jp/english/techinfo/troubleshooting/02/index.html

FYI, mine looked more like the bottom picture.

I dunno the gap looks large to me alright. I just done mine and there was electrical corrosion on the electrode of the plug, so they were well due a replacement, however, the gap didn't look that big. Put in new ones anyway and make sure you get the right ones. I recommend NGK - IZFR6K-11 make sure it does not have the S on the end, i.e. NOT IZFR6K-11S

Re the colour, the "tanned" colour can be due to additives, and looking at how much rust colour is there, they need replacement.

http://www.ngk-sparkplugs.jp/english/techinfo/troubleshooting/02/index.html

FYI, mine looked more like the bottom picture.

Thanks guys , As stated in my profile the car was not looked after before I got it. The NGK code you quoted first is what's already in there so I'll deffo replace them with those...

Cheers again Paul