What's new

Spec vs engine

Chriseybaby

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.0 i-Vtec Ex
Im thinking of buying a 58 plate EX Accord with the 2L i-vtec. Its done 81k with FHSH and is going for £7k

I've test driven the car and its powerful enough for me but I'm conscious that a diesel would hold its value better.

The other options are:
Get an ES Petrol for less
Get an ES Diesel with similar mileage
Stick with an EX but with 115k on the clock.

What do you think, anyone have a 2L petrol and regret it?

I've got a 2 litre petrol, but auto. Its adequate, I expect a manual would be faster, and a bit more economical, but its goes well if you rev it, like all vtec motors!

Also consider ES GT with Sat Nav and premium audio, doesnt have leather, which doesnt bother me, too cold in winter, but has most features. EX just adds sat nav premium audio, auto wipers and lights, but loses the GT bodykit.

Fairly high road tax, think the 2011 facelift 2.0 had a mod which dropped a tax band.

Depends how many miles you drive also a year, anything over mid teens (15k etc) go for the diesel. and it will hold it value better with the miles. Also how long do you keep cars? If you took that 2.0 EX up to 100k in 2 years and then tried to sell it, I expect you'd get less than half of the £7k back.

I paid £8k for my 58 reg ES GT auto tourer with 60k miles, last year, I'll keep it for 5 years/100k miles, so resale doesnt bother me too much, expect a grand..

Be aware and read up about the 2.2 iDtec diesel DPF filter problems, unless you do longer journeys the DPF can block, meaning a dealer visit for regen. DPFs are a service item, around 100k miles, £1000 to replace.

All in all what you lose on petrol cost, you save on maintenance/repairs as the petrols are almost bombproof if you service them properly.

I think petrol is probably the way since I only do around 8000 miles a year. I don't tend to keep cars that long so I am just a little concerned about the resale value, especially with higher mileage.

I'll take a look at ES GT's though.

Thanks

Yeah I think £7k for 81k miles is a bit pricey, I know its an EX with a good spec, but still.

I think £5500-6000 would more correct.

Always consider depreciation if you only keep your cars for 2 years or so. If you do 8k miles a year in that, its going to have the best part of 100k on it when you sell, unless you can find an Accord fan, most garages wont give much for it, being petrol I reckon £2k-£3k, so you'd lose £4k-£5k in 2 years :eek:

I learnt the hard way a few years back with a BMW coupe, £8k, 18 months later £5k, circumstances forced me to sell, in hindsight I should have kept it longer, but I was young and stupid!

I learnt the hard way a few years back with a BMW coupe, £8k, 18 months later £5k, circumstances forced me to sell, in hindsight I should have kept it longer, but I was young and stupid!

Not as bad as me - £20K for a BMW coupe, sold for £4.5K four years later. Learn a lesson then.

Not as bad as me - £20K for a BMW coupe, sold for £4.5K four years later. Learn a lesson then.
Wow thats depreciation, did you do mega miles in it or something?

I decided not to go for the petrol and am instead looking at higher mileage diesels

ADAS would be a nice option so what do you think

Car on Ebay

Wow thats depreciation, did you do mega miles in it or something?

Nope, but over here large petrol engines are taxed heavily, so they really lose their value quickly.

I decided not to go for the petrol and am instead looking at higher mileage diesels

ADAS would be a nice option so what do you think

Car on Ebay

Hi Chris,

With the idtec diesels, remember the DPF is a service item, only lasts 100k miles or so, so if it hasnt already been replaced, budget around £1k plus fitting.

ADAS is great if you can find one, is quite rare, not sure its worth paying a massive premium for, maybe £500 more used, was £3k when new.

Also check the diesels have always used 0w/30 low SAPs oil, or turbo and DPF problems can occur. Lots of dealers seem to fill them with 5w/30 negligently.

I'm considering a 2.0 EX petrol.

Currently driving a 56 ctdi - it's done 66,000. I'm not sure what I'd get for it in a p/e. 4.5K?

What year? FSH?

Right so I am either going for a 58 plate ex tourer with a whopping 110k on the clock, FHSH and a new shiney DPF for £6500

or

a 2007 A6 2.7 TDi Estate with 74k on the clock for £7200

Its a tough choice

Be careful with the Audi, thats a V6 diesel, nice and smooth, but the cambelts are expensive to change, get a quote.

Its a chain driven cam on the newer V6 so luckily no cambelts.

I still have no idea which to choose though