What's new

Squeak from the Rear!

pauljdh

Members
Reaction score
Car
i-dtec auto tourer
My sport Tourer has developed a squeal from the rear nearside of the car. It is most obvious at very low speed and when left hand down. It may be audible at higher speeds but maybe road noise is drowning it out.

It makes a right racket at low speed manoeuvring in land out of car park spaces etc and when rolling backwards and forwards.....touching the brakes seems to stop it.

Likeliest culprit wheel bearing? If so, is it part of a hub ***y that needs to replaced or just a bearing? Is is a competent DIY job or best left to a garage? Im having a service in July at Holdcroft but thats 8 weeks away and don't want to wait that long?

Once again thanks for your useful advice...
Paul

Its it a consistent squeal? i.e. related to speed? Could it be a stuck caliper rather than bearing? A worn bearing is more of a drone that squeal.

Thanks.......no it isn't a continuous noise.....difficult in tone to described...Ive called it a squeak but drone does sound like a better description, and only at low speeds as I say.
Cheers

Hmmmm... did you check for play? If you lift the rear wheel using a jack and spin it by hand?