What's new

Squeaking noise from the steering pump with bubbles in the power steering fluid reservoir

Nameuser

Reaction score
Car
2.2 ctdi ex tourer07
In case someone finds it useful..

On my 2005 2.0 i-Vtec Tourer EX:

Symptom:
At idle rpm, prominent squeaking noise from the power steering pump and bubbling in the reservoir. Meaning, there is a potential leak in the steering pump’s circuit and air is being sucked in.

Fault finding:
Since air was being sucked in, I started the diagnostic on the feed side of the pump’s circuit. Checked each hose connection by squeezing them tight or wrapping a rubber glove around them in order to form a seal on the joint, held it there for a minute whilst looking for change in the squeaking. There was a joint that I couldn’t reach but I carried on with the rest, hoping the issue will be somewhere else. And yup, found it, on the cooler pipe itself (53765seae01). It was quite rusty and a bit wet.

Solution:
Well, the new part was quite expensive (£180+) and I thought I could make one.. so I made one. I used a 10mm copper pipe and a £15 pipe bender kit from Lidl. I took out the original pipe (plastic tray under engine bay needed partially removing but nothing else) and on the bench I folded a new one. I did each bend in several steps to make sure the angles were relatively identical to the original. You really don’t have to shy away from the pipe bending, it isn’t that difficult.

and the result

Attachments

• 20210707_161523res.jpg
    20210707_161523res.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 10
Good idea, very well executed.

Yeah it's a common problem, at the time a few years ago I just replaced the rotten cooler pipe with an actual small after market oil cooler kit. Still going strong I'm happy to say.

ggtxWuK.jpg