What's new

squeal / screech from belt

stuartb

Members
Reaction score
Car
2001 Accord Vtec 2.0
I have a noisy belt I think, or one of the pulleys is losing it slightly, every now and then I get a really screechy belt noise, usually when cold, goes away when I turn off the climate control / blower

wondering whats more likely, alternator? air con pump? any ideas

I've sprayed a bunch of WD40 at both of those pulleys while the noise was there, and I wasn't entirely convinced that it made any difference, noise went away a bit but then it does just go away on its own anyway..

anyone else had the same?

I used to get it on my 6th gen accord when I drove through puddles on the nearside, just for about 5 seconds, so I ***umed it was the belt losing its grip on the bottom pulley temporarily.

If it's dodoingt when driving through puddles, then that normal as the bottom pulley on 6G's are very exposed.

However, if it's doing it when dry, I'd say either the belt is worn or could do with being tightened.

perhaps the water on the bottom pulley is a possibility, but I had all the belts changed (and I ***ume to the correct tightness) when I bought it a few months ago, so hopefully they did that properly.. they certainly look new, and feel tight, for whatever that's worth

I read somewhere that the Aircon pump has a clutch on the pulley.. and when I turn the climate control off the squeal stops immediately, every time, is it possible that is the cause? and if so is it a case of replacing the pump or can it be just a spare part swap?

thanks again

The A/C belt (and other rib-type belts) needs to be quite tense when installed as they strech a bit the first few weeks.
If its been noisy for too long, its too late to re-tension it, and it should be replaced.
But its certainly worth a try to re-tension it :)

^ that answers something that's been puzzling me about this thread.

The 7th and 8th gens have an auto-tensioner, so if the 6th gen has to be manually tensioned, there is the answer.

update, I re-tensioned the belt and its been silent ever since :)

point to note, if you have air con, the pipes get right in the way of that bolt underneath the alternator that you use to tighten it

fortunately, you don't need mega tightness on it, it seems enough to lift the alternator by hand (till you feel the car lift) and then just use the socket on it's own, get that on the bolt head and turn it a bit every time you lift, takes a few goes but it'll get tight enough.

hardest bit was getting the other socket/bar/ratchet in place to loosen off the alternator mounting bolts... my god they squeeze a lot of **** into engine bays these days dont they..

or do I mean the A/C pump.. can't remember which one the tension bolt is on now.. will be obvious when you open the bonnet and look lol

Ratchet spanners are a worthwhile investment for this kind of job ;)

Blong sorry I have no imagery for you, but if you look at this one (and it hasn't sold by the time you look at it..)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-ACCORD-2-0-16V-AUTO-COMPLETE-ENGINE-WITH-ANCILLARIES-ENGINE-CODE-F20B6-/291416770483?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43d9cb07b3

the 5th picture from the left (or 2nd from right) shows 3 ancilliaries on the right hand side. top to bottom (correct it wrong..) power steering, alternator, a/c

the middle one (alt.) has a bolt just underneath it, in the middle. if that makes sense. that's the bolt I'm talking about

actually you can see on the bottom one, the two holes where there would usually be the pipes sticking out - these are the pipes that get in the way, i think