What's new

Squealer

phil the greek

Members
Reaction score
Car
'05 accord tourer
when I bought my '05 tourer in January, it would occasionally make noises coming fro the back. This seemed speed dependant, but it would usually go away after a mile or so.

One way to make it go away was to give the brakes a quick dab. Ah - I thought - must be the brakes.

So, after inspecting the disks and pads I decided on new pads all round and new rear disks. All of it sourced for under £100 from ebay - I went for EBC components as I trust these from my biking experience.

Thanks to the wonderful "how to" guide on another part of this forum, I did it all myself. Everything was torqued to the required setting. After a few miles of being a bit careful, the brakes bedded in nicely and all seemed well with the world. They certainly seemed to stop better than the old setup which was re-***uring.

BUT - that bloomin' squeal keeps coming back! - again, I can stop it by giving a quick dab on the brakes, but it always comes back. The brakes work fine, and there doesn't appear to be any binding on the rear disks - i.e. you can jack the car up and the rear wheels turn fine (make sure handbrake isn't on!).

I s'pose the next bit to look at is the Callipers, but I'm loathe to do this, as I remember (again from my biking days) trying to take one apart and having lots of bits and pieces and no idea how to put them together again.

What do the ***embled experts think? I'm thinking I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and go and see my fave car mechanic - problem is - he's £50 an hour!!!

cheers - phil

If the brakes are not binding as you describe i.e jacked up and handbrake off they spin easily, then I would leave the calipers alone they are retracting as they should. One check you can do is drive the car for a while (normally) then stop and see if you can hold the wheel/disc, if they burn you then you have troubles. Did you put the pads in the right way around? there is a wear indicator one for each side and should be fitted inside against the caliper. I "HOT" wheels, and try as as I may i.e. new pads/disc's on/off on/off, still no improvement, then went to garage and the man said "It will be the flexible part of the brake line breaking up on the inside" this causes rubbish to collect behind the cylinder and holds the brake on. Had the job done no probs since.

See here for some answers?

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/4001-binding-brakes/

Phil
I've had this problem when you changed the pads and discs did you put some copper slip on the back of the pads and where they sit in the carriers, also did you give the caliper and carrier a good clean. If they are binding they will be hot and you'll get a burning smell.
Best thing to do is to strip it down and give them a clean take the pads out make sure everything is clean etc

if you still get the problem you should think about having the flexible hoses changed.

Phil
I've had this problem when you changed the pads and discs did you put some copper slip on the back of the pads and where they sit in the carriers, also did you give the caliper and carrier a good clean. If they are binding they will be hot and you'll get a burning smell.
Best thing to do is to strip it down and give them a clean take the pads out make sure everything is clean etc

if you still get the problem you should think about having the flexible hoses changed.
Cheers Paul - I did get in there with a wire brush and get as much crud as I could off the hub before putting the new disc on. Ditto the calliper before putting the pads in.

The pads got a coat of copper grease on their backs and the hub got some copper grease before the new disc went on.

Given that the problem is intermittant I'm gonna have a stab at the flexi hoses next I think.

Sand down the edges of your pads, the bits that sit in the carrier. They have loads of paint on them and will often make the pad stick.

EBC pads have a lot of meat on them as well so im backing up Andy on this.
Also its a long shot does this happen more if there has been rain.The reason i ask is EBC disks have a tendency to rust more than stock imo.So you might be getting rust particles on the pads.