What's new

Squeeky whining noise coming from front o/s

Mistertee

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
Hi guys,

My car recently started to make a squeeky whining noise, while driving, and more when turning. At first it was intermittent, but now it is pretty much constant.

So I took it to a local mechanic, who spent most part of the morning trying to find the fault but at the end of it, was still unsure. He said it could be the lower arm bush which has ever so slight play, or may be the steering rack.

Im booked in to see another mechanic, but he is not available until mid next week.!!

Any one had this kind of problem before?

Wouldn't have thought it was a bush as that'd tend to squeak or knock, but I do remember seeing comments about whining power steering when I was researching before buying mine.

thanks for the reply, it is more like a squeeky noise, almost like an old squeeky mattress!

can you get it to do it with the car stationary working the suspension(bounce the wing up/down)?...you said it was a squeak/whine.a bush wouldnt give you a whine mate.does the noise change if you touch the brake or turn the steering slightly when you drive?possibly a brake pad wear indicator?...or do you have any particular situations it happens?

thats exactly what I thought, I have had bushes go on me before, and I was getting knocking sounds. Now I get an almost constant squeky noise coming from the front driver side wheel, and yes also does it when stationary. I tried bouncing on it, it doesnt do it as much, but when i turn the steering slightly it does make the sound. It sounds to be coming from the back of the hub, or the lower arm. I dont think it is brake pads, as it does it when turning the steering while stationary.

I have just drove back from a short journey, and most of the way there, it wasnt so bad, but on the way back, there has been a constant squeeky noise all the way home, happens more when the steering turns, and small bumps, not as much on the biger speed bumps. Could it be bearings?

I suffered from a squeaking whining noise on the nearside of my car. It turned out to be the wife LOL.

Actually it did have a squeaky whining noise which turned out to be a dry bottom balljoint. So I got the full set of front upper/lower joints replaced all in one go...

hi im going to say one thing to you, keep a pair of jump leads in your boot and be prepared for a big bill!
i had the same problem as you and took it to two different honda dealers one said i need to change the aux belt for a revised one and its gonna cost £160 including labor and one said i need a new power steering pump which was £680 including labor, and then the next thing i know my alternator fails and now my cars sitting in the garage being repaired and im looking at about a £600 bill.
im sorry to scare you but you need to be prepared.

Scare over.. It was the lower arm bush, got it replaced yesterday, car drives smooth again, with no squeeks or whines...!! Thanks for all your help guys...

Only thing left is clutch and DMF, getting fitted Thursday...