What's new

srs light came on and engine died

polocoupe79

Members
Reaction score
Car
accord 2.0 vtech
Ok last night had abit of a play with another car like u do , got 2 mins away from home and my urs light fame on yhe the dash went dead and also cut engine could not ur it in park either so left it a few mins and bam turned on ignition and she fine but could it happern again I have no warning lights on dash now as if car is running normal again any ideas y that happerned
Cheers rich

As far as I know the SRS system kicks in when required in an impact. Supplementary restraint system. Its to do with the airbags, seat belts etc etc I think. It would make sense for the engine to cut off if this system was activated. There is a fuel cut off switch somewhere in the dashboard which may be related. You will need to have a look at the accord service and repair manual to get more detailed info. I dont have it installed on my PC at the moment so can't check it for you just yet. This may or may not be the cause. Have you checked the usual things under the bonet too??? Battery status, alternator output, spark plugs, filters, etc etc???

The key question is, What were you 'playing' with before you went for a drive and all this happened?!

Don't think he meant that kind of "playing" Doc :lol:

Did you go bouncing over any speed bumps? It does sound like you nudged summutt you don't ordinarily nudge.

Dan,

I actually read that as he was playing with HIS car before he went for a drive ie tinkering around with it not molesting it.

But i've re read it and you've just made it sound dirty! :lol:

As Saj has said. If the SRS come on the engine will automatically cut out. It may just be a simple fault with the system. Have you had the car plugged in? If the SRS light comes on the code is stored in the ECU and will give you a fault code that you can check out.

I've put a list of the codes on here so you can see what part is playing up.

Did you hit the rev limiter when having a play? Or brake suddenly when revving highly?

Well I dont think I hit the limit as being a auto lol but is ging on computer Mon, and im not really bothered just amused at y it did it and yea its working fine no probs since :)

Make sure you let us know what gets said at the garage mate. I really want to find out what happened.

Let me know how this goes same thing has been happening to me on and off for a few months starting to get a bit worried i figured it's down to faulty ignition barrel as sometimes the ignition wont switch on but then i turn the key back and foward again and problem solved hmmm sounds like a mystery !!!!

Yea will do guys and Pete u gota remember u have a immob so enfield when then green key lite flashes it Wont start untill its stopped flashing

Yea will do guys and Pete u gota remember u have a immob so enfield when then green key lite flashes it Wont start untill its stopped flashing

werent trying to start engine buddy just needed ignition on to undo windows and it wouldnt switch over to ignition done it a couple of times aswell as the problem in the O.P
Starting to worry now !!!!!!

Pete yours sounds like an ignition barrel mate. If it's not a major issue at the moment then don't worry about it as they are quite expensive to replace.

Ok thats odd put mine on computer to find no fault codes atall very strange and we went through the whole system

Hmmm. No idea then mate,sorry.

If the SRS light comes on then a code should be stored in the ECU. Might have just been a funny five minutes for the car. :huh:

Ok thats odd put mine on computer to find no fault codes atall very strange and we went through the whole system

on the 6th gen the SRS system is a standalone unit. i.e. is not connected to the ECU in any way. there is a single wire in the OBD for SRS on the later models 2001, 2002 but on most of the models there flash code and there is a two pin plug under the passenger glove box. this is porb y you never got any codes.

i have hunted my dash and engine bay for a fuel cut off switch and cant find 1. if it had triggerd then the car wouldnt of started again. i had my srs system in bits trying to work what it is connected to and theres nothing that i can see that can shut the engine down.

if you where "playing" with it then everything gets rather hot and this heat can affect sensors on the engine thus the ecu getting confused and shutting down. the time you waited gave it time to cool down.

did the batt, oil, ABS lights come on at all??

I found a solution to myne ended up being a dodgy ignition switch common problem with 6th gens !

I don't think this will be the ignition barrel mate. Usually that's a pretty good shout as as you've pointed out they are a known fault, but i don't think this would cause the SRS light to come on. Engine to die? Yes, but not the SRS. Unless of course it came on like it does when the car is first started....if you see what i mean :lol:

Ok went to work this morn got half way down the road and it happened agen Wtf is going on think I mite have a chat with Honda about this

Richie32 .....