What's new

starting problem

Sy1980

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord VTEC SE Gen 6
Hi guys.

I have an intermittent starting problem. Normally happens first thing in the morning. The car turns over, but won't fire. Eventually it will, but when i touch the accelerator, it cuts out. I've replaced the air filter and spark plugs, but it still has the same problem. After 5 - 10 minutes i can normally get it going, but it's really annoying, and probably for my neighbours too as I leave for work at 6.30am!

Any ideas?

TIA

Sy

Coil Pack and/or leads would be next on the list for me..

or it could be the automatic chock sticking

is your accord a 99 - 2000 reg?.........there may not yet be anything on this site about this particular problem as its still faily new. there was a recall on the ignition switches for quite a few honda vehicles including the accord of this age. ime doubtfull you would get it under warranty now but if your accord is a model CG7, CG8, CG9, CH1 and 99 -2000 reg its the first thing i would change.

Nice one Adam, loving your new ***le by the way ;)

Hi guys.

I have an intermittent starting problem. Normally happens first thing in the morning. The car turns over, but won't fire. Eventually it will, but when i touch the accelerator, it cuts out. I've replaced the air filter and spark plugs, but it still has the same problem. After 5 - 10 minutes i can normally get it going, but it's really annoying, and probably for my neighbours too as I leave for work at 6.30am!

Any ideas?

TIA

Sy

I had starting problems with my accord last year, turned out the battery was knackered, Just replaced it with a new 1 and has always started up first turn.
I initially thought it was faulty ignition switch as there was a recall on these cars for that problem

thanks for the suggestions guys. I spoke to my local honda dealer (where i used to work) and checked the recalls. None are applicale to my chassis no. It's a 2002, so the ignition switch problem doesn't apply. I wondered about the fuel filter, and after checking the history, it hasn't had one for over 40000 miles, so that's a job for the weekend. I'll check the rest of the ignition components while i've got the bonnet open too.

oh, forgot to mention it had a new battery in january. Turning over isn't a problem. It just won't fire. I've noticed as well it seems to only do it after it's rained overnight, so maybe there's moisture getting into the system somewhere?

Almost certainly moisture then. Take the leads and coil pack off, check all terminals that you can see for scorching etc and clean it up with contact cleaner. Check the plugs too..

Put it back together and spray some WD40 over the ignition system to absorb and protect from moisture... I still think coil pack has had it though. Can you borrow a coil pack from another member to isolate it as a probable cause?

wow, looks like i'm gonna be busy this weekend!

Problem with borrowing a coil pack is that it's intermittent. Ie: it could go for weeks and be fine, but one morning it just won't go, and i have to get a lift to work. The really annoying thing is that it'll start fine by the time i get home, so i'm never able to trace a potential cause. Although tbh i don't have the motivation after a day's work anyway!

There was also some problems on cars having problems starting that was related to the main relay. Maybe its worth to look at it also.

There was also some problems on cars having problems starting that was related to the main relay. Maybe its worth to look at it also.

Now you've said that, I remember the wife used to own a Gen 4 Prelude, and the main relay went on that. I'll check that out too.

Thanks everyone, hopefully I can get it sorted as it's doing my head in!

the fuel pump relay (pgmfi main relay 2) was countermeasured for 05 model accord CL7, CL9, CM1 CM2,jazz and frv. with your car being 2002 it is unlikely this is your problem however the problem was due to a defect from the supplyer Mitsuba and the countermeasure was to check the manufacturer of the relay and replace the Mitsuba relay with a denso relay. there are many points to check regarding starting and i suggest checking the spark plugs first

I had the same problem. It was sorted when i got it serviced last month. The fuel filter was changed and it had some new leads as well. I only had this problem in the morning when i started it first time. Hope it helps

ok, the car now has new air and fuel filter and new plugs. Now i've just got to wait and see if it happens again! Thanks for all your suggestions guys, been very helpful so far.

Have you changed the leads? Or have they ever been changed? The only things i can think of are what you've done, or the contact points or leads.

i haven't yet. There's nothing in the history to say they've been done either. That'll probably be next on the list if it still isn't cured.

I had a very similar problem not too long ago. it turned out it was an air lock in the fuel somewhere, so what I did was take off the petrol cap and after a couple of turns away she went.. I had been using tesco 95 octane which i've changed now to Vpower, sometimes if the cash is low i'll put the cheaper shell fuel in, since changing i've never had the problem again..was a weird one to say the least.. hope you get it sorted

Like adam says it could be a few things. No point throwing money at it replacing healthy parts. If you're not sure go to a garage for a diagnosis.

well, so far touch wood, it's been fine. Started 1st time after heavy rain overnight on thursday and friday at home, and this morning in Cumbria, very cold but fired up straight away. Fingers crossed i've fixed it, but only time will tell!

Good man sy i hope that's the fix fingers crossed its normally simple things and a process of elimination.

Well, an update.

Ran absolutely fine, through the snow and ice. Parked it up last Tuesday and it hasn't been used since as I went into hospital for an operation.

Went to start it yesterday and.......nothing. And again, nothing this morning. It's cranking over lovely and I can smell fuel, but even after 20 minutes of turning over this morning, it just will not fire.

Now obviously Halfords don't sell leads or a coil pack for this car, and nowhere else is open until Tuesday when I need to use the car to get to work!

Just bloody typical!

Could this be an immobiliser issue - or shall I get me coat?

I think his engine turns over dude... Battery is OK.

Not an immobiliser thankfully. I have, thanks to an entire can of damp start, got it going. Looks like the cap and rotor arm are shot though so first thing tuesday i'll be buying new.

Will patent be ok or should I buy genuine?

i had the same problem on my type r accord. the ignition key was faulty and not turning off the immobilizer so got a new key and starts first time on these cold mornings

Well, now i've replaced the dizzy cap and rotor arm, and it's running perfect, starts on the flick of the key, every time, and seems to be running better, so I think i've sorted it.

Thanks for all the advice.