What's new

steamy windows

willcook1275gt

Members
Reaction score
Car
accord ctdi sport 55
my windows mist up terrible .. the lightish of rain ...3 or 4 people in the car and i cant see out of the front screen for mist ....the air con clears its straight away in about 10 secs but switch the air con off it comes back in about 2 mins .....just tonight i had to go on a 20 mile run the air con was on n off the full time it was lightly raining every time air con was off it misted up within mins ..and i mean u would have to stop if u had no air con or didn't open the windows its that bad so jumped into my dads toyota drove around for 30 mins with no air con or windows open with no probs with misting up ...... got back into my accord misted up within 2 miles .....seems like the heater blower blows in damp air ......no heater setting works unless air con in on
looking at every car tonight not one was steamed up mine was like turkish bath
never had a car like this
air con works fine and never topped up rad in 18 months does not use any water
please HELP

must be something damp behind the dash

easiest thing to check is the pollen filter, though I doubt if it's that

as you probably realise, this is usually a symptom of something damp somewhere in the car, if it's not the carpets then it might be behind the dash.

However, I had a car years ago that did the same thing (car didn't have aircon), it didn't have such a big dash, I never really got to the bottom of it, but I suspect that it had a very small leak somewhere round the windscreen, just enough to let a very small amount of water in where I couldn't see it :huh:

u know the heater dose not smell the best maybe a damp smell ~/?? where is the intake for the fan ? as i have some air con cleaner to use ....
the lightest of rain and the windscreen mist up straight away

If the engine isn't losing water then the heater matrix isn't leaking.

A bad smell often comes from bacteria on the evaporator unit (A/C) , I've just thought, the evaporator accumulates water on its surface (like a cool-box in a fridge) and there is a drain under the evaporator. That could well be blocked.

Also make sure you've got your heater set to draw air in from outside rather than circulate the air round inside. That will make it mist up something rotten if you're recirculating the air inside. Fresh air is best lol.

Alans27 said:
Also make sure you've got your heater set to draw air in from outside rather than circulate the air round inside. That will make it mist up something rotten if you're recirculating the air inside. Fresh air is best lol.
air from inside or out makes no difference :)

freddofrog said:
If the engine isn't losing water then the heater matrix isn't leaking.

A bad smell often comes from bacteria on the evaporator unit (A/C) , I've just thought, the evaporator accumulates water on its surface (like a cool-box in a fridge) and there is a drain under the evaporator. That could well be blocked.
Run the air con system as it should and check for water dripping from underneath the car, this will show you whether the evaporator is blocked.

Dripping water = the evaporator is not blocked.

Major774 said:
Run the air con system as it should and check for water dripping from underneath the car, this will show you whether the evaporator is blocked.

Dripping water = the evaporator is not blocked.
going to check this when it stops raining thanks

It will start dripping yes, but it has to be hot outside or you have to run the A/C for a long time. And by the way the A/C is not good to be used during winter times, just heater. After usage of A/C, heater should run for a while so it can dry the freon leftovers, otherwise windows will be misted very quickly in cold or rainy days.

Like the other guy suggested, check the evaporator. There is a possibilty of mold all over it or in the ducts.

Mine does this as did my Prelude and both Civic ek4's - must be a Honda thing

You can run the A/C all year round, that's why it's call "climate control". The evaporator will reduce the humidity in the winter and summer, so it will drip water all the time. If there's no water dripping underneath, the drain is blocked, so the car is actually accumulating water all the time. As said, if you leave the A/C off all the time and heater on hot all the time, it should reduce the amount of water trapped, but tbh you're better off trying to clear the blockage.

Start by removing the pollen filer and shining a torch in to the right, you should be able to see the evaporator. You may need to remove the blower motor as well (the pollen filter sits inside it), to do that you will haveto remove the glove box completely and the blower unit cam be lowered down by removing some screws and detaching the cable. Then you can get into the evaporator.

O, I thought that it's only me and my polen filter. It was raining today and windshield is misted in no time. What I noticed is that my air vents get wet after using AC in hot weather. Does that mean that evaporator blow off is blocked? Where should I start from? Cheers
Now I see previous post, thanks for that explanation @Freddofrog

Sent from my m2 note using Tapatalk