What's new

Steel Wheels for Winter

Si74

Members
Reaction score
Car
2003 exec tourer
Sorry as I know this has been asked before and I've had a look through the answers but would like to be sure before parting with the cash. 2003 2.4 Tourer running on 17" Pentas
Been offered a set of 2009 Civic wheels 16" 6.5J WITH 205/55R16 winter tyres but the offset is 45.Am I correct in thinking these will give adequate clearance inside and just stick out another 4mm.
Thanks in advance.
Simon

I compared a 16" steel Civic wheel to my OE 16" alloys (wanted a full size spare for jaunts into EU), the steel rim from the civic was very close to the caliper on the front, only a few mm in it. I think the alloys are naturally set further away due to the inherent design of the wheel, be careful with the steel tho..........

Thanks for the replies. The guy is not that far away so maybe the safest option is to see if he will let me try them on the car.

Defo give it a try, let us know how you get on if enough space on the front, I would be interested to find one of the same as my spare.

Mine came with Penta 17" as well, I bought a set of Civic 16" steelies to fit but the front calipers fouled the wheel, You need 3mm spacers to make them fit the front.
Rears fit fine.
A generous forum member here gave me a set of 16" alloys that fit fine.

That's a good point the steel wheels will be a different shape internally compared to alloys. Alloys are cheap enough on ebay though, I got mine for £70.

Thanks for that Bounder, saves me a trip. Shame as they are 600 quids worth of wheels and tyres as new for 100quid but not fooling with spacers.
Have another set of alloys of my dead 2 ltr tourer so will just use those for the winter!
One problem solved but the tyres on the Pentas are goosed so the new 2.4's Pentas are temporarily on the scrap 2ltr till I can get them refurbed and afford new tyres So no way am I parting with the dead 2 ltr for 100 quid with the Pentas.
How do you sell a car and say you can have the car but I'm keeping the wheels?
Also got shot by a stray stone which was like a bullet and dinged the windscreen, same serial no. on the scrap car. wish I had a flat driveway so I could just strip the 2 ltr and sell the bits on ebay but my drive is mega steep and her indoors is getting well teed off with a drive full of Hondas
Why is nothing ever easy:)
Apart from the fact it passes everything bar a petrol station, I love my 2..4, only thing that I've driven that's nicer is a V8 Vantage but I can't get my tools in the back of that. Finish restoring my RS Turbo which has sat in the Garage for 17 years, flog it and I can see something Intgra..ish under the house.. I love Hondas way more than used to love Fords! Fix or repair daily

Having bought a set of the steelies I used one as a spare instead of the space saver that mine didn't even come with!
I understand about your reluctance to use spacers I am of the same opinion, however 3mm spacers won't make much of a difference and could be a decent investment for winter driving until you can afford to put the refurbed alloys back on in summer.
If the tyres are decent then I'd think about running them with 3mm spacers over winter, lots cheaper than sliding into something and having to fix it!

Cheers for that but the wheels were sold when I looked at them today. Strange they were listed for 100 buy it now and marked as listing ended, sold at 180?
Have the alloys of the 2 litr on for the winter and will get the Pentas refurbed and decent tyres for the summer.