What's new

steerin problem

bikerman

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Sport
hi chaps

i have a problem with my car... never rains but it pours eh?!

Its a honda accord 1.8 sport 2002.

went to fuel up last night, all was fine when I got to the petrol station, but when I started the car to leave there was a horrible grinding sound coming from under the bonnet. It is present when the car is on tickover, gets slightly worse when revving, and is real nasty when i turn the steering.

I looked under the bonnet and there's nothing obviously damaged... the steering s very lumpy this morning and noisy....

i have a feeling a baring or something has gone in the pully for the power steering pump, there seems to be a lot of vibration when i touch it.

Anyone else had this happen?
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

hi chaps

i have a problem with my car... never rains but it pours eh?!

Its a honda accord 1.8 sport 2002.

went to fuel up last night, all was fine when I got to the petrol station, but when I started the car to leave there was a horrible grinding sound coming from under the bonnet. It is present when the car is on tickover, gets slightly worse when revving, and is real nasty when i turn the steering.

I looked under the bonnet and there's nothing obviously damaged... the steering s very lumpy this morning and noisy....

i have a feeling a baring or something has gone in the pully for the power steering pump, there seems to be a lot of vibration when i touch it.

Anyone else had this happen?
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
Sounds like power steering pump mate. Silly question but have you checked your fluid and if so what colour was it.

Sounds like power steering pump mate. Silly question but have you checked your fluid and if so what colour was it.

thanks crespo, i did notce the colour as some of it had 'leaked' somehow onto the top of the resovoire, (god knows how) and t was a light brown colour, like fresh engine oil.... isnt it normally red?

Oh boy... just went out to the driveway and it has a lovely rainbow pattern starting just in front of the car... steering fluid below min.... seems to be leaking from reservoir ... will have another look tomorrow...

Oh boy... just went out to the driveway and it has a lovely rainbow pattern starting just in front of the car... steering fluid below min.... seems to be leaking from reservoir ... will have another look tomorrow...
Yes it is supposed to be red mate.

Brown means it's burnt. Basically well past its renewal date. Try a flush and new oil and maybe you can salvage it. If not its going to be a new pump unfortunately.

What Neil said is spot on mate.

Cheers

If I go to breakers for a replacement pump do I need to match models or will a 2 litre model pump fit?

If a 2 litre pump will fit I have a spare in my garage mate, I'd only be after a tenner plus postage as its no use to me! :)

Genuine Honda power steering fluid is light straw coloured when new.
Hopefully, fixing the leak and a flush will work. If not, it is an easy job to change the pump.

Also when replacing the fluid it may pay to use the genuine Honda fluid.

I was told the universal after market fluids can damage the seals in the pump. I think a little more money spent on the fluid may save you a lot of money if the new pump failed, plus there is the peace of mind.

If a 2 litre pump will fit I have a spare in my garage mate, I'd only be after a tenner plus postage as its no use to me! :)

thanks for all the help fellas, Iif it turns out the 2.0 pump will fit then you may well have a buyer.. if you send me some photos i will have a look see if it is the same......I have some steering fluid that I used on the wifes focus, guaranteed to stop leaks... worked on hers so I may try that in there see what happens

hi, a quick update... i topped up the reservoir with this 'stop leak' steering fluid and it appears to have stopped the leak... however, something seems odd... after starting the car and turning the steering wheel a few times (still got the loud noise) i looked at the reservoir and thought it had empried, so i took the lid off, and it wasn;t empty, but something strange had occurred... it was like amilkshake iside, all bubbles and froth... weird eh?

That is the pump mixing the air and fluid together. Let the bubbles come out of the liquid and top up. Then start the engine and move the wheel from lock to lock. It will make funny noises as the air moves through the pump but it will clear quite quickly. You need to find the source of the fluid loss so it doesn't happen again.

Finally Just had time to have a better look at the car... I can see where the leak from s now.... theres some metal pipes in front of the radiator that are corroded and has sprung a leak.. doh.

Rust really does seem to be a problem on these accords... my car is low mileage at 67k and does approx 4k p.a. and I have had to have it welded twice for the last 2 mots... I thought welding was a thing of the past lol...

Tbh I wouldn't of put that leak stuff. Your just delaying the process. The foam stuff will be the chemicals mixing with the fluid. Now you will have to do a proper flush to get rid of it out of the system when you do fix it.
That sounds like the cooler and because they are forward facing they do take a beating from the road.

www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=17S1T01&block_02=B__3361&block_03=2653

Item 22... holy smoke... 160 quid... I will take a trip to the local breakers me thinks!!

OK, update time...

I phoned round a few local breakers and only one had an accord.. it still had the steering cooler so off i went, to take it off the car.... got there and it looked as corroded as mine... dismantled it all and tried to remove, but because of the fear of it breaking on me as i tried to remove it I gave up, but i took one of the rubber hoses... (they didn't charge for it either B) )

so I got back to my car (I need it to be working for tomorrow) and decided I would cut out the middle corroded section of the cooler and patch it together with the rubber hose (cut into 2) so I can still keep the oil a little cooler than without any cooler at all.

I used a pipe cutter to keep the edges clean, and some PTFE tape to make a 'bulge' in the pipe to help with preventing leakage.

Early days, but so far so good. I will keep my eyes open for a replacement cooler, but hopefully this will last until I can replace it.

Cheers for the help and advice..

BM

Quick question for you all as I too am experiencing steering pump noise as of a few hours ago *sigh*
What PAS fluid do these accord use? Everywhere I've read says ' only use genuine Honda fluid' but there must be another off the shelf brand that has the same chemistry?! Is it dextron or something else?

Quick question for you all as I too am experiencing steering pump noise as of a few hours ago *sigh*
What PAS fluid do these accord use? Everywhere I've read says ' only use genuine Honda fluid' but there must be another off the shelf brand that has the same chemistry?! Is it dextron or something else?

hi

got mine off shelf on halfords... according to their book

Thanks for the reply. I went to Halfords today and surprise surprise they were hopeless (only went as they are on the way back from work)
The book was half missing and their 'system' had no information.

I've heard it's not red like most PAS fluid and it's instead more a gearbox oil? I just hate going to the dealer for things like this because it's a clear con and there is bound to be an equivalent.

the 'book' i read stated it was standard steering fluid... if my steering fecks up I will get them to fix it .. lol ;o)

Taken directly from the Honda service manual under the word caution in big letters:

"Use only Genuine Honda Power Steering Fluid S. Using other fluids such as ATF or other manufacturer’s power steering fluid will damage the system."

Genuine Honda fluid is straw coloured and smells nothing like ATF or gearbox oil.
I know their auto boxes do not like anything other than genuine fluids.