What's new

Steering rack replacement

delbert

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord i-CTDi
These things are sent to try us aren't they! My Accord's just recovered from having it's oil pump chain replaced (and is thankfully is running just fine after the experience!) and then I notice a weird feeling as I'm turning around in a car park.

On investigation I spotted the power steering fluid was low so being in a hopeful mood I simply refilled it (with the proper Honda stuff). Sadly a couple of weeks later it started again so rather than simply refilling I had a look around the car. I soon spotted some suspicious dark patches of metal work around the bellows on the end of the steering rack and the bellows themselves are covered in oil. So, it appears a replacement steering rack is on the cards :(

I've found a local company that can supply a reconditioned part (a darn site cheaper than Honda's £1400!) so I'm wondering if anyone has attempted this replacement and can give me any pointers?

Cheers,

Del

Before you go down the line of replacing the steering rack check your steering pipe hose i was told my rack was leaking as i was loosing fluid so i just kept topping up eventually the leak got worse turned out the leak was coming from the steering pipe hose got one from ebay £35 you can also try the stop leek for the steering rack.

I've done my own inspection and the evidence is fairly conclusive that it's the rack....but I will double check before I start so thanks for the suggestion.

I'm not a fan of these miracle cure type fluids, if they can seal a hole in a seal then what else are they gumming up (technical term!) in the system. I'm sure there's plenty of people that have had success with them but, as I say, not my cup of tea.

I've read up on the procedure for the removal of the rack and it doesn't appear too complicated (fatal last words!) so let's hope all bolts and nuts part company nicely.

Del

A steering rack change isn't particularly difficult, though it is messy. Biggest problem is seized bolts (oh how I hate seized bolts). Some things to consider:

1. Empty the PSF fluid out of the rack first or you'll be cleaning the stuff up from everywhere
2. Mark the exact location of the position of the old rack on the subframe and replicate these marks on the new rack so when fitted, it's roughly in the same position
3. Do a thread count of the tie-rod ends and replicate this on the new rack (mean you're alignment won't be too far our)
4. Check and then re-check the steering column bolt to ensure it's properly tight
5. When all done, refill the PSF and do a full left-to-right full locks (do this with the wheels off the ground to prevent excessive strain on the new rack)
6. Do a full 4-wheel alignment when done

Good luck!

Hi,

Just a quick update, I successfully completed the steering rack replacement (yay! Go me!). Thanks to everyone for your help, it was all useful stuff to digest before I started. Apart from some very difficult to access bolts (well, difficult when you're trying to get a long bar on there to undo them) and a number of the prerequisite cuts and bruises on the hands and arms (what can I say, the most hard work my hands normally do is pressing keys on a keyboard!) it was all plain sailing.

I've even treated myself to a Trackace so I can spend a few happy minutes running through the tracking myself (I always hated having to go to the garage to get this done). Currently it only does the front wheels (which suits my needs) but they're in the process of developing an add-on to do 4 wheel alignment, cool! (Although it may sound to the contrary I'm not ***ociated with this company at all!).

Happy spannering!

Del

Hi Del, did you remove the steering wheel, or manage to get enough clearance with column to change the rack? I'm debating changing mine, but when the manual starts talking about steering wheel removal I get a bit twitchy!