What's new

Steering Rack.

Kabir786

Reaction score
Car
Accord
Following up from the issue I posted on here with my Accord, Anyone could advise me if the steering rack is faulty, There is no play on the rack ends, there is vibration coming from the rack, you can feel when you drive vibration and clunking noise, I have been to numerous people who have checked it and they have said it is the rack, it's very expensive and I don't want to end up replacing the wrong part, anyone had similar issues on here?..

has anyone locked the wheels and checked the coloumn/u joints for play? are your strut mounts good? ie, do your front coil over strut ***emblies rotate smoothly as you turn the wheel, or do they shudder and bind?
what about your lca compliance bushings? if the rubber in the bushing is missing or the core is free to wander about in its collar, your toe angle will be all over the place like so, and it will clunk and cause vibration at speed

I know the video shows a 7th gen/tsx, but the 8th still uses a compliance bushing

It seems to be coming from part which connects into the to the electric power steering rack.

It looks to be loose in the housing, as you can see the visable vibration on the passengers side and not on the driver side.

Mate, if you want some ***istance you better help us to be able to help you.

What's the make, model and year of your car for starters?
Is the rack electric or hydraulic?
Pictures, video, sound file of fault or it's location.

Where or how are you feeling this clunking or vibration because it doesn't sound like a steering rack fault, more like a suspension/bearing issue.

8Th gen is electric power steering. 7th is hydraulic.

You need to get the front up on jack stand and check all joints. Hold the wheel at diagonals and rock it to check for play. You need to be quite rough when doing this. Make sure the car is properly supported before doing this and safe. Last thing you want is the car falling on you.

Agree could be driveshaft or bushings, even something as simple as wheel balance and alignment, i would jack up and test ask those so called mechanics to place on ramp and test not guess and say they think its steering rack.

2011 Accord 2.2 Es GT.

Wheel balance and alignment has been done. Car has been jacked up and all ball joints and Bearings have been checked, no issues, the only issue is from the passenger side rack arm which goes into the rack, you can feel vibration, no play on the rack arm. Also when got the wheel balance done, the passenger side rim was slightly buckled ,I have got that repaired and put onto the rear,I'm just thinking that the previous must have hit into a kerb and caused damage to the steering rack..

Last edited:
steering rack unlikely, i would recommend someone from good garage scheme or motor ombudsman

Just a thought...jack the car up and put on axle stands, put in first or second gear and with some wheel speed turn steering from lock to lock a few times. The turning wheels will give the rack some increased lateral load without a full suspension load. If the rack is really damaged internally it should still make the noises/vibration you describe.

YOu should be able to get a replacement from a scrappy for a reasonable cost.

Last edited: