What's new

Steering "squirming" sensation on cornering/roundabouts

earlofsodbury

Members
Reaction score
Car
Gen7 i-CDTi Tourer
OK - hope I can ask for a two-for-the-price-of-one on questions about diesel tourers. ;)

My car is a '55 plate Tourer Sport i-CTDi, which is new to me, and my first Honda of any kind.

It's also my first diesel in years, and also my first car equipped with hydraulic power steering in a while.

On taking wide flat bends and roundabouts, I get an odd and quite slight/gentle feedback through the steering-wheel which I can best describe as "squirming".

Simply - is this sensation a normal rather ****led form of feedback from the tyres through the PS, or is something amiss?

Cheers, Paul

Another member has mentioned this and I must admit I had not noticied before. But since his post I have looked out for this and on round abouts I can feel this sensation it doesnt bother me but I have noticied it.

I also get this sensation on roundabouts and bends. It's more pronounced the slower you go round. It must be down to the way the power steering works. My old cavalier used to do it as well. Seems normal to me.

Yes, I can feel it too.
In my car, that is. :)

I can imagine what you are feeling. Not sure that I have noticed this, but I would guess it is a combination of the wheels wanting to self straighten, driver input and power steering doing it thang.

i sometimes feel squirming coming off roundabouts................
especially if it gets dropped into 2nd, sidestep the clutch and give it full throttle :unsure:

lol.
By the way, I still remember the first time I noticed the LSD when flooring the Aerodeck in a roundabout. I didn't know it had one. I was trying to take an exit, and the car was pulling me in! :D

Any connection to the issue of tramlining which seems to be an issue with the 17" wheels if the tyres have a continuous central groove?

The fix for that seems to be to pick tyres with a Vee type tread so there is no central groove to grab white lines or whatever. Cars with this issue can apppear to move sideways what seems like a few inches

I had extreme tramlining with the Bridgestones RE050, and I think it's mainly because they had really hard walls (fantastic tyres by the way).
I now have Michelin Pilots 3 (they have grooves too) and the tramlining disapeared.

Mine's only running the original 16s, but is prone to quite noticeable tramlining. Has rather tired P6000s on the front FWIW.

The sooner you get rid of those Pirrelli tyres the better. Had P6000 all round on my car when I bought it. They could be part of the problem. Rubbish in the wet, wheel spin when accelerating and understeer on steering. Still got them on the back as they have a load of tread left. I do wish they would wear down though, so that I then would feel the need to change them. Can get a bit of oversteer in damp conditions but can put up with that. Got the fronts changed for Falken 452s on Fahads advice, a whole lot better in all conditions.

I've found this as well.

I find Michelin Premacy the best for the Accord - had Toyo Proxes - wore out but were sticky - Michelin are grippy enough and wear at least twice as well.

Soo glad I found this thread, having changed from Continentals on standard 16" rims to four Pirelli P7's I too started to get the shimmies on roundabouts. I've a Uniroyal Rainsport as a new unused spare and plan on getting a second to put on the front, then relegate the P7's to the rear!

Steve

Hi,

This was the first thing that I noticed went I originally got my 7th Gen, it felt very strange at first, I have got used to it now, but that said I still find it slightly 'artificial' feeling.

Ross.

Same here - I posted the same query on the newbie section when I collected my Accord. It is odd and does feel like there's a fault, but when the car was at the dealers for the exhaust manifold change I asked them to check it and no problems were found. Just a characteristic, clearly.

mine does something similar. Not really noticed it on roundabouts but on large constant radius bends the loading on the steering wheel fluctuates. I'd read that honda steering feel takes a bit of getting used to so just put it down to that. Pleased that you guys find the same thing.

Fixed! just changed both front tyres from Pirelli P7's to Uniroyal Rainsport 2's and its gone!

This was not apparent on the previous continental sport 2's either.

I'm now running 2 x Uniroyal Rainsport's on the front and two P7's on the rear. Only issue is the Uniroyals are handed so a spare would be difficult if you ran four...

Steve