What's new

Steering Wheel Removal

jjmartin349571

TA Friends
Reaction score
Car
'86 Gsi
Hi guys,

Having a bit of trouble getting my steering wheel off :/ thought it'd be like my Golf, just pull the front cover off and unbolt, however the front cover seems to be stuck fast on, if I pry at it then it bends at the edge with the centre staying firmly fixed. Is there some special way of removing it, or some extra awkward retaining tabs or something??

Cheers,
Josh

Hi guys,

Having a bit of trouble getting my steering wheel off :/ thought it'd be like my Golf, just pull the front cover off and unbolt, however the front cover seems to be stuck fast on, if I pry at it then it bends at the edge with the centre staying firmly fixed. Is there some special way of removing it, or some extra awkward retaining tabs or something??

Cheers,
Josh

is it a mk6 model ?? if so there is two screws at the back of the spokes you need to take them out. the air bag will now come out. then its just the center nut and the plug for the cruses controls if fitted. :D

is it a mk6 model ?? if so there is two screws at the back of the spokes you need to take them out. the air bag will now come out. then its just the center nut and the plug for the cruses controls if fitted. :D

Same process as the 7th gen. The screws are torx T30s on the 7th gen not sure about the 6th. And don't forget to disconnect the battery.

Cheers guys, I did have a look through those holes, but just thought 'surely not, how on earth do you screw them back in again' lol. Guess that'll be a problem for another day :p

Haha the battery is about as disconnected as it can get, in the back of the garage somewhere. Hopefully I won't have the airbags deploy on me :p

Haha the battery is about as disconnected as it can get, in the back of the garage somewhere. Hopefully I won't have the airbags deploy on me :p
Although it would suck if the airbag did go off in your face it'd still be one of the funniest things ever for anyone who was watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tFo_MhxizE

Although it would suck if the airbag did go off in your face it'd still be one of the funniest things ever for anyone who was watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tFo_MhxizE

Haha yeah especially with the passenger seat out, I'd be straight into the back! Will just have to avoid doing whatever that person was doing in the video :p some kind of angry car dance? :s