What's new

Stereo/satnav replacement options

Maffro

Members
Reaction score
Car
2005 Accord 2.4 EX
Hi guys, this is my first post other than my intro :) woo!

Ok, first off, I am a total noob when it comes to modifying cars. I have, however, successfully replaced and installed many a car stereo but none which control AC etc, or have such an odd shape.
I believe from what I've read on these forums that I have the Alpine "premium soundsystem" satnav headunit, albeit an expensive option when buying the car new it is of little benefit to me where I live. Also, I think it only outputs 20 watts a channel? Is this right? I could live with the unit if the output was high enough to warrant replacement 6x9s, even if I do have to fit an aftermarket mp3 adapter kit but 20 watts seems a bit limited. The details I could find on this head unit were pretty sparse, I have no idea if it has amp outputs, sub outputs etc (judging by the menu interface I wouldnt have thought so. So thats my first question, is it worth replacing the factory pioneer speakers?

Second question is....
If I were to replace the head unit, what happens to AC control etc? Im a bit baffled on how this would work with an aftermarket unit. Having looked for adapter plates too, I cant see anything that would convert to single or double din.

Things were so much easier when a stereo was a stereo....

Thanks in advance for any advice

Hi Matt, welcome to t.A, if you do a quick search you'll find threads on double din installs,when you replace the stereo with an aftermarket one (wethaer its double or single din, it will sit in the cubbyhole hole at the bottom of the sat navigation unit, I'm sure you have a disk drive there for the satnav unit, alot of members on have gone towards an aftermarket head unit if they don't have the satnav built in, you are the first to try and replace the existing sat navigation unit, since you have the petrol model, there is a multimedia unit available on ebay that can replace your system, its only incompatible with the diesel as it starts messing around with air-conditioning bit, ill try to get the link up for you :)

Hi Matt, welcome to t.A, if you do a quick search you'll find threads on double din installs,when you replace the stereo with an aftermarket one (wethaer its double or single din, it will sit in the cubbyhole hole at the bottom of the sat navigation unit, I'm sure you have a disk drive there for the satnav unit, alot of members on have gone towards an aftermarket head unit if they don't have the satnav built in, you are the first to try and replace the existing sat navigation unit, have you got a diesel or petrol Matt?
Hi ukaccord, its a petrol. It seems like a bit of a task to replace it - Its a decent system, if only it had a higher output. If I could amp it and replace the speakers I'd be happy enough. Or even if replacing the speakers in itself would be a benefit? Id just like a bit more bass is all, nothing window shattering but something a bit meatier.

The 20 watts will be RMS not PMPO.

If you replace the speakers bare in mind that the amp has built in crossovers and the door speakers are only mids and the 6x9s are only bass. The only tweeters in the car are on the dash.

iv heard the speakers are not great(not really into sound myself)but javjav a member on here,has replaced his door speakers with bose ones from a audi rs,accord to jav they are near enough a direct replacement with little modding required,as crespo has correctly pointed out, some members have seen improvements in just changing the 6x9's ,i doubt they will be window shattering or boot rattling :) but it must be better than stock :), regarding changing the head unit,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-2006-2007-Honda-Accord-Car-DVD-player-Radio-GPS-navigation-Headunit-HD-LCD-/270964284461?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f16badc2d#ht_1431wt_840

i know these do exist,have no idea about build quality or fitment,nor the software they are using,some might say it might not be great as its a china make :unsure: but it is an option for the petrol model bud :)

Cheers all!

I think I might just try replacing the stock speakers first to see if that would be satisfactory. Im quite in to my sounds but the stock unit is nearly bearable, just lacking that little extra punch I want. 5 years ago I'd have been elbow deep in wiring trying to rig something up to shatter the windows but Im a big boy now and I'll just have to take whats available. I've seen a couple of folk referring to subwoofers in their hondas and my understanding is that they were an option on the cars? Could be wrong, but Id like to know for sure - Is there a sub or amp output on the "premium soundsystem" satnav unit?

Forgot to ask also, Im seeing everyone banging on about these x-carlink jobbies for the aux in.. one question.. why so expensive? Are they really that good a device? Whats up with the likes of the "connect2" option available on ebay?

Cheers

hi ya,

i see your location, nice place.. :) was in thurso for a bit myself.

i am just looking into a xlink also, you can get a one to give you a usb/aux input. so pair a hdd, ipod, etc etc up with original head unit, and control it with steering wheel.

let me know about the speakers yourself..if you upgrade.

Hi mate

I looked at the same thing, you don't need to touch the system at all, leave it as is. You will loose that clean OEM look if you start messing about with putting different units in there, etc.

If I am right, you just want what I want, which is to have louder, better quality sound that is able to cope with playing all frequencies of sound, from bass to treble. This is easy, you do not need to have any sort of pre-outs like you do on aftermarket headunits. For people like us that want to keep that OEM look, but add more versatility and control over your sound, you can do it. Let me explain..

A lot of amplifiers these days have what they call "High level input" connections on the amp, instead of pre-outs that are a low level input. All that is required to use them is that you connect your normal speaker wire from the standard headunit to the amp, and it will take the signal from your factory unit and boost the signal (more power & quality) and then feed it back to your speakers.

If you get a new Alpine 5 channel amp, you can run the front speakers off 2 channels, the rear doors and shelf speakers bridged on the other 2 channels, and the sub off the 1 channel. Done! :)

Oh and for all the added extras, just get an XCarlink box for your audio (iPod, Aux, etc) and video (VGA input for laptop input, etc) needs ;)

Hope this helps man!

aaahhh the benefits of being a h-earse driver... 7 speakers ;).

Still find I have mine maxed out half the time though :(