What's new

Still getting brake judder grrrr

waj1974

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord i-ctdi
Guys,

I recently changed to new genuine brake discs and pads in my accord as i was getting a lot of brake judder. It is a lot better now BUT im still getting slight brake judder and i cant think of what else it can be, any ideas???

Drive shaft or wheel bearings. any of them changed?

You mention the judder and the first thing people will say is.

1. Get the wheels re-balanced.
2. Change the discs and pads on the car, because the discss are warped.

But there is known issue on the diesels where the inner joints wear out, typically on the passenger side (have had this on my car). So a couple of questions?

What mileage is your car on? - Is a mileage thing, so if car only has 40k miles on it then probably not.
Is the judder more pronounced when putting torque throught the driveshafts? You can almost drive round it if drive gently. But spool the turbo up a bit and the judder is there through the steering wheel? - If this is the case then I would say inner drvieshaft joints.

thanks guys, the driveshafts have been changed by honda recently so that rules that out, but cj you may be right the wheel bearing on the right side was changed but the passenger side wasnt so it possibly could be that....

Hey Waj, how many miles have the discs been on and how many miles after changing did the judder start back, was is ok when you first replaced the discs.

Waj I can only say check the obvious like pads, slider pins etc.

I would be interested to know what the actual problem is?

And not to overlook the obvious, make sure the mating surfaces of the new discs and hub are absolutely perfectly clean and free from rust (hub). When I replaced all four of mine recently this was quite a time consuming part of the job. I wanted to get the hub spotless and shiny as new to mate with the new discs so they run true. Any spot of corrosion left on the hub and the disc will not be true and likely judder on braking.

Probably you did this anyway, but has to be mentioned, just in case.

Salim, the discs have been on about a 1000 miles now, I started noticing the judder about 400 miles after the discs were fitted...

It Was ok when the discs were fitted I braked lightly to bed them in after about 400 miles it speared..

New discs can warp if they're cheap copies or if they've not bedded in correctly.. Can you have them checked for runout?

If you had them fitted at Honda take it back and they will replace them foc. Otherwise i reckon a good strip down and clean of the hubs, slider pins and inside of you wheels should sort it. Dont forget to get the lugs torqued up. See if that fixes it, if not then you can have them cut while on the hub that sorts out any issues with run-out.

Ok So I went back to the garage and asked them when they fitted the lower knuckle arm did they replace anything else...they said they used a used wheel hub grrrr didn't tell me before I'm wondering if thats bent or warped causing the new discs not to run true...but when I had the new discs fitted couldn't the mechanic tell if the hub was bent???

Ok So I went back to the garage and asked them when they fitted the lower knuckle arm did they replace anything else...they said they used a used wheel hub grrrr didn't tell me before I'm wondering if thats bent or warped causing the new discs not to run true...but when I had the new discs fitted couldn't the mechanic tell if the hub was bent???
Probably not as you will only really tell when you spin the wheel at speed.

Also theres the question of if he knew would he tell you and all that?

All speculation, hence why I do my own repairs

bloody mechanics mate i hate them... i was driving downhill last night 2nd gear gently pressed the brakes and could hear like a rhythmic whirring sound coming from the front, im definitely positive its that hub and i will have to get the bearing too..

Yep sounds like a wheel bearing..