What's new

Stolen Catalytic Converter Parts List

jamie3141

Reaction score
Hi all

Unfortunately, one month into owning my Accord I've had my catalytic converter ripped out. Can somebody that's had this done to them before help me price up the parts?

Registered 2005, manufactured 2004. 2.0L VTEC Executive. VIN: JHMCL75804... Engine code: K20A6...

I'm probably going to need both lambda sensors. I can see the wire to the secondary sensor dangling.

Primary Lambda:
https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/calorstat-by-vernet-8319371.html £101
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Accord-2003-2008-2-0-2-4-O2-Oxygen-Lambda-Sensor/332845013626 £47
Secondary Lambda:
https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/calorstat-by-vernet-8319371.html £35
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Ac...2-0-AWD-O2-Oxygen-Lambda-Sensor/332794266220? £28

Will ofc need a new catalytic converter:
https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/react-catalytic-converter-724600100 £177
OR
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Catalyti...epid=0&hash=item28a04edd30:g:v9EAAOSwRgRfj-1V £75 (incl. mounting hardware/gaskets)

Probably going to need a downpipe too (depending on how they've cut it):
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BM-Exhau...0570-Fits-Honda-Inc-Fitting-Kit/332800527150? £51 (incl. mounting hardware/gaskets)

Is there anything else I'm likely to need? I have all of my tools with me, but unfortunately, no jack or jackstands :(. Going to have to buy those too while I'm away from home.

Thanks

J

Lings have a decent parts fiche online with prices, also try Cox Motorparts in Morecambe, they have some good prices.

Hi all

Unfortunately, one month into owning my Accord I've had my catalytic converter ripped out. Can somebody that's had this done to them before help me price up the parts?

Registered 2005, manufactured 2004. 2.0L VTEC Executive. VIN: JHMCL75804... Engine code: K20A6...

I'm probably going to need both lambda sensors. I can see the wire to the secondary sensor dangling.

Primary Lambda:
https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/calorstat-by-vernet-8319371.html £101
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Accord-2003-2008-2-0-2-4-O2-Oxygen-Lambda-Sensor/332845013626 £47
Secondary Lambda:
https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/calorstat-by-vernet-8319371.html £35
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Ac...2-0-AWD-O2-Oxygen-Lambda-Sensor/332794266220? £28

Will ofc need a new catalytic converter:
https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/react-catalytic-converter-724600100 £177
OR
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Catalyti...epid=0&hash=item28a04edd30:g:v9EAAOSwRgRfj-1V £75 (incl. mounting hardware/gaskets)

Probably going to need a downpipe too (depending on how they've cut it):
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BM-Exhau...0570-Fits-Honda-Inc-Fitting-Kit/332800527150? £51 (incl. mounting hardware/gaskets)

Is there anything else I'm likely to need? I have all of my tools with me, but unfortunately, no jack or jackstands :(. Going to have to buy those too while I'm away from home.

Thanks

J
Did you get this sorted? My parents Accord and a good mates Accord of the same age (7th Gen 2.0) have recently had this done. Both had replacement cat and sensors. However the engine MIL has remained illuminated. Code indicates a different sensor on each car - being that they cut the loom in different places on each car. The code relates to the sensor the garage has had to splice the wires back, however they cannot work out why their wiring is incorrect. I've tried to find a wiring diagram and meter the wires on the car but not making any real progress. Dumping the issue back onto the garage is unlikely to be successful being it's a very small (and usually decent) outfit - this seems like something I need to figure out on my own.

Can anyone point me to a wiring diagram for these sensors (car side, not sensor wires)?

Thanks

Did you get this sorted? My parents Accord and a good mates Accord of the same age (7th Gen 2.0) have recently had this done. Both had replacement cat and sensors. However the engine MIL has remained illuminated. Code indicates a different sensor on each car - being that they cut the loom in different places on each car. The code relates to the sensor the garage has had to splice the wires back, however they cannot work out why their wiring is incorrect. I've tried to find a wiring diagram and meter the wires on the car but not making any real progress. Dumping the issue back onto the garage is unlikely to be successful being it's a very small (and usually decent) outfit - this seems like something I need to figure out on my own.

Can anyone point me to a wiring diagram for these sensors (car side, not sensor wires)?

Thanks

Ahhh, is the CEL coming with the code P0141 by any chance? Mine did this. I bought a cheap A/F sensor and post-cat sensor from eBay. P0141 relates to the post-cat sensor, so I went on rockauto and purchased an OEM brand sensor (Denso) and refitted that. The CEL was still on after installation... That confused me. I reset the learned ECU data by disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes, turned it on again, did the idle learn procedure and the light was still on. I did that a further 4 times and the light remained on.

I began electrical trouble shooting, checking ground, resistance, voltages, tracing shorts, etc. and couldn't find anything wrong. After driving around for a week or two the light just... went away? It hasn't come back. I'm not sure what it was, perhaps the ECU needed longer to relearn the sensitivites of the new sensor.

Two wiring diagrams for you:
This is for a K20A6/K24A3 engine. CL7 model code, 2005.

Some additional things you can check:
No. 18 under-dash fuse OK?
Resistance between lower two terminals of secondary sensor? Should be 5-6 Ohms.
1614292820908.png
Should be ground connection to terminals three and four of secondary sensor?
1614292798362.png
What's the voltage across the male terminals of secondary O2 sensor?
1614293122304.png
Is there continuity between pin 21 of connector E of ECM and ground?
Is there battery voltage between terminal 4 of secondary O2 sensor male connector and ground? Should be ~12V+.
What's the voltage between pin 5 of connector A of PCM and pin 21 of connector E of PCM? It should be greater than 0.1V.

You can also try the throttle learn procedure by:
- Make sure all electrical items are off (AC, etc)
- Disconnecting battery for 5 mins (don't forget your radio security key if it has one). This will reset the ECM
- Turn the ignition on, and wait for 2 seconds
- Start the engine. Hold at 3k RPM without load until the radiator fan comes on, or until the engine coolant temp is at 90C (you can check the temp with an OBD scanner)
- Let the engine idle for 5 minutes, with throttle closed. If the radiator fan comes on after you've reached 90C, start the 5 minutes from the time the fan turns on

Attachments

• 1614292912670.png
    1614292912670.png
    12 KB · Views: 3
Ahhh, is the CEL coming with the code P0141 by any chance? Mine did this. I bought a cheap A/F sensor and post-cat sensor from eBay. P0141 relates to the post-cat sensor, so I went on rockauto and purchased an OEM brand sensor (Denso) and refitted that. The CEL was still on after installation... That confused me. I reset the learned ECU data by disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes, turned it on again, did the idle learn procedure and the light was still on. I did that a further 4 times and the light remained on.

I began electrical trouble shooting, checking ground, resistance, voltages, tracing shorts, etc. and couldn't find anything wrong. After driving around for a week or two the light just... went away? It hasn't come back. I'm not sure what it was, perhaps the ECU needed longer to relearn the sensitivites of the new sensor.

Two wiring diagrams for you:
This is for a K20A6/K24A3 engine. CL7 model code, 2005.

Some additional things you can check:
No. 18 under-dash fuse OK?
Resistance between lower two terminals of secondary sensor? Should be 5-6 Ohms.
View attachment 465
Should be ground connection to terminals three and four of secondary sensor?
View attachment 464
What's the voltage across the male terminals of secondary O2 sensor?
View attachment 467
Is there continuity between pin 21 of connector E of ECM and ground?
Is there battery voltage between terminal 4 of secondary O2 sensor male connector and ground? Should be ~12V+.
What's the voltage between pin 5 of connector A of PCM and pin 21 of connector E of PCM? It should be greater than 0.1V.

You can also try the throttle learn procedure by:
- Make sure all electrical items are off (AC, etc)
- Disconnecting battery for 5 mins (don't forget your radio security key if it has one). This will reset the ECM
- Turn the ignition on, and wait for 2 seconds
- Start the engine. Hold at 3k RPM without load until the radiator fan comes on, or until the engine coolant temp is at 90C (you can check the temp with an OBD scanner)
- Let the engine idle for 5 minutes, with throttle closed. If the radiator fan comes on after you've reached 90C, start the 5 minutes from the time the fan turns on
Thanks Jamie for this really detailed post. Whilst each car had the cables to both sensors cut - the cars connector block (where the sensor plugs into) was cut off for a different sensor on each car. So whilst one car has had to have the front (engine side) harness crimped onto the new front sensor wires (because the connector block was cut off entirely), the other car has this original connector still present, yet has it's other connector (rear cat sensor) block cut off and this replacement sensor crimped in.
The error codes on each seem to correspond to the sensor that has been crimped on each car. One is P0135 (this car has the front sensor crimped in) and the other P1157 (this car has its rear cat sensor crimped).

Those wiring diagrams and images look very helpful, I think it should help solve the problem by identifying the correct wires. My OBD reader can reset the code (which comes back on almost immediately) and both cars have been driven for a number of weeks post fix now so I don't think it's just a re-learn issue - but apparently mis-wired sensors.

Will update on here if I manage to sort.

Thanks very much for your help.

Thanks Jamie for this really detailed post. Whilst each car had the cables to both sensors cut - the cars connector block (where the sensor plugs into) was cut off for a different sensor on each car. So whilst one car has had to have the front (engine side) harness crimped onto the new front sensor wires (because the connector block was cut off entirely), the other car has this original connector still present, yet has it's other connector (rear cat sensor) block cut off and this replacement sensor crimped in.
The error codes on each seem to correspond to the sensor that has been crimped on each car. One is P0135 (this car has the front sensor crimped in) and the other P1157 (this car has its rear cat sensor crimped).

Those wiring diagrams and images look very helpful, I think it should help solve the problem by identifying the correct wires. My OBD reader can reset the code (which comes back on almost immediately) and both cars have been driven for a number of weeks post fix now so I don't think it's just a re-learn issue - but apparently mis-wired sensors.

No worries, happy to help. I'm sorry these scum bags have done this twice to you/family!

Oh, I haven't heard of the male connectors being cut off in thefts. I'm guessing the garage did this? I don't understand why they would? It's impossible for a thief to get access to the male connectors and it's completely unnecessary for a garage to replace the male connectors. As with all crimped connections, I'd be worried about dodgy connections in the first place. Physically pressing conductors together is a poor way to create good, conductive connections---especially on wires that are 'sensing'---I'd be more inclined to solder them and/or replace the entire cable run. Crimping introduces contact resistance.

For P0135 you can do the following:

1614300917880.png
1614300927908.png
1614300941190.png
1614300952418.png

For P1157 you can try:

1614301278977.png
1614301300864.png

Thanks very much indeed for all this. I ***umed the male connectors had been cut off as the garage had spliced the wires on the different sensors on each car - but it's possible they did this for some other reason I can't quite fathom.

Either way your troubleshooting info is going to be invaluable. I know of at least two other Accords in my area that had the same theft - thieving scum...

Just a quick update to say I recently got this sorted. It seems the generic Bosch sensors the garage crimped on were the issue. Replacing them with generic Accord specific ones from eBay (with the connectors - no crimps!) solved the issue. It wasn't this straightforward to get to this point but that's the long story cut short. The info provided by other member(s) above was very useful in helping reach this conclusion.