What's new

Stolen catalytic converter

AlHarris

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.3i Type V
Beware, there are thieves about.

At around 1200-1300 today the catalytic converter was cut off my 2001 Honda Accord Type V in the car park for a garden centre near me. My car was parked on the end of the front row in clear view of the centre's entrance.

I am gob-smacked that anyone could steal it where my car was in broad daylight and why they stole mine there; there were far larger catalytic converters on cars well away from the entrance. I wonder if I somehow offended scroats in a battered black Ford Ka Mk1 parked next to me when I arrived.

The catalytic converter isn't worth much; I can get an aftermarket replacement for £70. However, they cut through the exhaust either side of the catalytic converter which'll increase the cost considerably. What they'll get is peanuts compared to the cost to me.

I've reported it to the Police. However, recent articles on theft clear-up rates lead me to have no hope whatsoever.

If anyone gets offered a cheap cat near Redhill in Surrey then please let me know.

Sorry to hear this. I believe it’s to do with the precious metals found in older cats that seem to be worth more, especially than those found in aftermarket replacements. The only real solution is to clamp down on the unscrupulous metal traders that actually buy these stolen goods, and far tougher punishments for those involved. I hope the law catches them but I fear it’s just not a priority for them.

Sorry to hear this too.

Our neighbour got their CAT stolen in broad day light form their 2002 Honda jazz.
She had to write the car off in the end as the insurance wouldn't pay out for replacements.

They seem to target Toyota Prius's, Honda Jazzes and Honda Accords 1997-2001
These are apparently easy targets as the exhaust sits pretty low and the metal is so thin they can be cut in seconds.

Hope you can get the Accord back on the road as cheap as possible.

Once you install a non genuine CAT they seem to leave it alone.

I trust you did everything you could whilst at the garden centre (CCTV request, and any physical security that is on site), is there any ?

Since you do have a relatively narrow window of opportunity, there is a borderline chance that whoever did the deed might have paid for something there, possibly with a card, so a till check might be worth doing.

You are right though, Surrey police have a very poor record of following up reported crime.