What's new

Strange clutch AND steering feeling!

Adski

Members
Reaction score
Car
2006 Accord Type S
Hi all,

I'm going to cheat and put two posts in one here so bear with me!

I bought a 2006 2.4 Type-S back in March but to be honest, there are two problems I'm experiencing which are taking away from my enjoyment of the car which I know if these problems didn't exist, would be fantastic!

The first problem is with the clutch - it doesn't slip and the bite point it nice and low but when I'm slowing down and I change down into 3rd or 2nd gear and then let the clutch up, it sort of....well...the best way to describe it would be between a judder and a grabbing feeling. This happens however slowly or quickly I release the clutch pedal although the problem is alleviated if I double de-clutch but if I get the engine speed wrong, sometimes it aggravates the problem. (Plus, double de-clutching at every junction gets a bit tiring after a while!). I've noticed that whilst the problem is always there, it does seem to be more apparent about 10 minutes into the journey rather than from cold. Someone has suggested that a worn engine mount could cause this but I wouldn't know how to diagnose that.

I'm almost positive that my 12 month warranty won't cover this one with it being clutch related but to be honest, I'd be happy to pay to get this sorted as it's rather frustrating!

The second problem is the steering - when I turn at slow speeds, I get a strange "unsmooth" feeling through the wheel which feels a bit like I'm losing PAS for a brief second. It never affects my ability to turn and the problem is non-existent at speed but very noticable when maneuvering around slow corners or car parks for example. My power steering fluid is spot on max and there are no strange noises when turning or suspicious patches on the driveway. However, I'm pinning my hopes on the possibility that it may be due to the tyres I have on at the minute which are woeful. Unfortunately, they were put on brand new when I bought the car making it hard to justify the unnecessary expense of £500 to change them.

Would tyres I've never heard of cause the above problem or could it be something a bit more sinister?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm really not enjoying the car as I should!

Many thanks,

Adam

What mileage has your type s done? If its above average do you think it could be possible the clutch which feels good now is actually the car's 2nd clutch, and that the first one was worn to such an extent it could've caused flywheel damage. For the engine mounts you could get in indication if you stick a massive prybar in and see if there is any excess movement. If your car has had a hard life and if it is in turn a worn engine mount i'd start with checking the rear mount first. In the past i've driven an eg6 vti with a knackered rear engine mount and it used to clunk everytime you hit vtec, lol!

Im not sure of your car history but have you driven cars before with speed sensitive steering? Feather light while parking and nice and weightier at speed. Other than that if you're not leaking fluid and your level it on the max then im not sure what else. Are your track rod ends still in good nick with no lift in them?

Hi all,

I'm going to cheat and put two posts in one here so bear with me!

I bought a 2006 2.4 Type-S back in March but to be honest, there are two problems I'm experiencing which are taking away from my enjoyment of the car which I know if these problems didn't exist, would be fantastic!

The first problem is with the clutch - it doesn't slip and the bite point it nice and low but when I'm slowing down and I change down into 3rd or 2nd gear and then let the clutch up, it sort of....well...the best way to describe it would be between a judder and a grabbing feeling. This happens however slowly or quickly I release the clutch pedal although the problem is alleviated if I double de-clutch but if I get the engine speed wrong, sometimes it aggravates the problem. (Plus, double de-clutching at every junction gets a bit tiring after a while!). I've noticed that whilst the problem is always there, it does seem to be more apparent about 10 minutes into the journey rather than from cold. Someone has suggested that a worn engine mount could cause this but I wouldn't know how to diagnose that.

I'm almost positive that my 12 month warranty won't cover this one with it being clutch related but to be honest, I'd be happy to pay to get this sorted as it's rather frustrating!

The second problem is the steering - when I turn at slow speeds, I get a strange "unsmooth" feeling through the wheel which feels a bit like I'm losing PAS for a brief second. It never affects my ability to turn and the problem is non-existent at speed but very noticable when maneuvering around slow corners or car parks for example. My power steering fluid is spot on max and there are no strange noises when turning or suspicious patches on the driveway. However, I'm pinning my hopes on the possibility that it may be due to the tyres I have on at the minute which are woeful. Unfortunately, they were put on brand new when I bought the car making it hard to justify the unnecessary expense of £500 to change them.

Would tyres I've never heard of cause the above problem or could it be something a bit more sinister?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm really not enjoying the car as I should!

Many thanks,

Adam

Hi Adam your 1st problem could be the very simple clutch judder that effects all 7th gen accords.There is an easy fix in the diy section.I will find it and give you a link.
Another thing it could be is the clutch release bearing.If it is then you might as well have a new clutch as well.

For your 2nd problem i would say its your tyres.

Here you go

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/46-diy-fix-clutch-creak-click-updated-6807/

Thanks for your very helpful and quick replies.

The mileage is only 40,000 (36,000 when I bought it) so if it's had a clutch before my ownership, I'd hate to see how the other guy drove it!

I'll try that with the prybar - would engine mounts wear at this kind of mileage though? I'm not exactly a boring driver but I certainly have a great deal of mechanical sympathy (I'm the guy who takes a 3 mile detour to avoid a horribly potholed road!).

I've never driven cars with speed sensitive steering but I'd be surprised if this feeling was intentional - although I'm heartened by the fact it could be the tyres - at least I know once they're worn, I can stick some Mich's on and sort the problem once and for all!

Going back to the clutch, I actually saw that thread and greased the pedal accordingly and it's now super quiet which makes me very happy! Unfortunately though it hasn't resolved the issue. Is the release bearing an expensive job? (Someone else has suggested it could be that).

Thanks again for your helpful replies,

Adam

If its the release bearing with the time it takes in labour to get to it you might as well have the clutch done as well.
For this your looking at a price from Honda happiness £585 i think.
Your best bet is give HH a call for a quote as we have a discount code in operation.

Sorry for being a bit slow (it's been a long day!) but who is HH?

Adam

HH is Honda Holdcroft in stoke there are Affiliates Dealer.
You probably cant see this yet as you need to get your post count up to view the hole forum.

HH is Honda Holdcroft in stoke there are Affiliates Dealer.
You probably cant see this yet as you need to get your post count up to view the hole forum.

" hole forum" lol - not sure CJ will be too chuffed with that ;)

Adam

interesting that i too have similar issues but on my 07 cdti with clutch judder and strange low speed steering feel. I have just replaced clutch and flywheel, next jobs are tyres, replacing driver side driveshaft (this week probably) if that doesn't sort its back to HH in stoke to get them to have a look as i am sure the clutch isn't quite right but lets see later in the week.....

The low speed steering feel has been discussed before on another thread by me and a couple of others. It feels like the steering wheel is giving a little intermittent kick as you turn round slow corners. Most people I think notice it shortly after they've bought the car because they're driving slower than usual until they're used to the car. But once they're comfortable with the car and corner faster it stops being noticeable. (I only noticed it the 1st couple of weeks of ownership and it hasn't happened since). We put it down to the low engine rpm while travelling slowly causing a slight drop in hydraulic pressure. It's perfectly normal nothing to worry about. If it's still there when you're cornering faster then it might be worth further investigation.