What's new

Strange Electrical Fault - Reverse and Sat Nav Linked?

Johnny Mc

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord Tourer
Hello All (Newbie with 2003 Tourer Exec) Thank God this forum :)

Wondered if you kind folk could offer any experience / expertise??

I am experiencing some kind of electrical problem with my Accord at the mo??? Here goes.....

My tourer is auto, with retro fitted rear parking sensors. When I switch on the side/headlamps, the car's retrofitted sensors will bleep, if near an object, no matter whether in Park, Neutral, Drive etc. Also, the rear reversing white lamp at rear of car is constantly illuminated. If I turn the lights off, the bleeps stop. Also, my factory fitted Sat Nav is behaving strange in so much as when I select the "Info" button to show present location, the same address comes up no matter where you are. On the sat nav map display as you are driving, the map arrow icon seems to be driving away from the initial start location south bound whilst charting a series of blue dots??? The map shows where you are but not this INFO button?

One thing to add at this point, I recently took off my offside front headlamp to dry it out as it suffers from misting. The problem above has only really manifested itself since I did this. Could I have inadvertently disrupted any wiring which both serves either my Sat Nav or auto gearbox and ***ociated reverse sensors by taking out this headlamp cluster???

Your help, guidance and knowledge is greatly appreciated :)

Warmest Regards

Johnny Mc

Hello
In terms of of the parking sensors it does seem like it has been wired up incorrectly.

Previous to this problem did the sensors work correctly, meaning did they beep on when put in reverse?

Hello
In terms of of the parking sensors it does seem like it has been wired up incorrectly.

Previous to this problem did the sensors work correctly, meaning did they beep on when put in reverse?

Hi Shabz

Thanks for replying :)

Yes mate, was all working absolutely fine. The timing of me taking out the headlamp cluster and then a few days later noticing the problem seems sort of logical. But there's no way I can see how wiring from a headlamp cluster could interfere with my Sat Nav and/or reversing sensors. It was only due to the fact this problem manifests when I switch on my lights on, did I suspect it could be down to when the light fitting came out???

Any initial thoughts? I did think, is there any merit in disconnecting my battery and see if systems reset themselves?

Cheers Shabz

Hi Shabz

Thanks for replying :)

Yes mate, was all working absolutely fine. The timing of me taking out the headlamp cluster and then a few days later noticing the problem seems sort of logical. But there's no way I can see how wiring from a headlamp cluster could interfere with my Sat Nav and/or reversing sensors. It was only due to the fact this problem manifests when I switch on my lights on, did I suspect it could be down to when the light fitting came out???

Any initial thoughts? I did think, is there any merit in disconnecting my battery and see if systems reset themselves?

Cheers Shabz

Further investigation has shown me that the bleeping and reverse light stops when the tailgate is open. Could this suggest a sensor issue within the tailgate ECU? If so, this doesn't explain my Sat Nav problem.......

Further investigation has shown me that the bleeping and reverse light stops when the tailgate is open. Could this suggest a sensor issue within the tailgate ECU? If so, this doesn't explain my Sat Nav problem.......
SUCCESS!!!! I managed to fix it today.

In a nutshell, there were a number of wires that had perished along the tailgate hinge/rear wash wipe hose exposing the copper strands. Two of these were touching each other when the tailgate was closed causing the problem when the headlights were switched on. A few lengths of electrical tape have sorted the problem out....RESULT.

Johnny Mc

Nice when it's a simple fix... :D

I had exactly the same on a previous Citroën. When you unlocked the car the rear wiper would start and sweep a few times. The guy I bought it from told me it was a "feature" :). Only tookabout 20 mins to sort.