What's new

Strange Noise from back-end

pauljdh

Members
Reaction score
Car
i-dtec auto tourer
Hi Chaps,
Well Ive just ordered my service kit from HH and Oil from Lubetech - saved a bundle! and it'll all be going down to my garage for the 1st service for the beast since Ive owned it. - Thanks for that great facility!

My post though is to ask for help on identifying a strange noise that I get occassionally from the back end

Specifically -
sounds like a medium pitched siren and gets louder
only occurs after Ive done a few miles (30-40)
Is not speed related
big clue...

by dabbing the brake pedal lightlly (at any speed) I can stop it, tho as soon as I take my foot off it starts again until I come to a junction and do some low speed stuff.

I can only ***ume that some clearances are been take up once the car is warmed up (caliper / hub / bearing?) as it never ever happens on my 12 mile each way commute to work.

Ive mentioned it to the garage and suggested they clean the calipers etc, hopefully that'll fix it but wondered had anyone ever experienced similar.

Ive just remembered that when I bought it, the guy said it'd been standing a few weeks and when I pullled off on the test drive it went "clonk" then a dum dum dum dum sort of beat from the back although that stopped after a mile and hasnt been a problem since.

Thanks!

ps just fitted a pioneer single din radio and loving the car but I do miss my old SAAb 9-5 Aero, love hhose big gobs of effortless torque so I think once its serviced a wee remap might be required !

Paul

you say its not speed related yet you say when you slow down and do 'low speed stuff'.

i would take the car out for a drive and check both rear wheels when you park up. if one is rather warm compared to the other then you have a brake binding issue with is quite common.

not really sure what else it could be though.... Have you check obvious things like wheel nuts, checking the caliper / carrier is torqued correctly ?

Hi Paul, if it goes away when you apply brakes it will almost certainly be the brake pad side of things, bit of copper grease on the back and side of pads and shims usually does the trick, maybe a build up of rust on outer edge of disc.First check for heat build up as Adam said before doing anything eliminating dodgy calipers and hoses.