What's new

Strange "sticky" feeling Power steering

Spitfir3121

Reaction score
Hi guys really hope someone can come to my rescue with this problem.

My power steering (hydralic) has started to feel really weird, as you turn the wheel it feels like it's sticking in certain spots and there are kinda flat feeling spots. Irs not a consistent feeling at all as you turn, making tight turns and roundabouts awful. It also feels kinda loose and wandery on the straight at speed.

Been to see a mechanic who said it feels fine which is just plain wrong... Maybe he was too busy I don't know.

To me it feels it's a hydralic issue maybe changes in pressure as you turn the wheel?

Belt is fine nice and right, no whines and no leaks I also can't feel any play.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

it may well be the needle bearings sticking in your steering shaft u-joints
if you've ever used a square drive with a flex/u-joint adapter and you run it at the "wrong" angle, it will bind but still turn, but you have to adjust the ratchet angle to compensate.
same principle with the u-joints in your steering shaft. your steering rack is mounted to the subframe with bushings, so if one of the joints seize it will still turn because of the play in the rack mount. every quarter to half turn it will be fine, and then it will snag for the other quarter to half turn

it's more likely to be the joint closest to the rack, and not the interior mount. a temporary fix would be to get yourself two chunky hammers, using one as a dolly and the other to strike the bearing flats to shock them loose, then try to pat grease onto and into it

Starting with basics.

Are you using proper Honda PSF
Did the previous owners use proper Honda stuff ?
Is the level correct, not under/overfilled ?
Does it look clean ? Dip a white cloth strip to the bottom of the reservoir to check

Starting with basics.

Are you using proper Honda PSF
Did the previous owners use proper Honda stuff ?
Is the level correct, not under/overfilled ?
Does it look clean ? Dip a white cloth strip to the bottom of the reservoir to check
Thanks for this! I've drained the psf with a syphon and replaced with honda psf and repeated this over the last couple of days after its had time to mix and it's feeling better with every go.

The psf that came out was a different colour to honda so I reckon the PO didn't use honda psf.

I think a few more goes with the syphon and it should be sorted!

also check those things:

Main high pressure hose ( POWER STEERING FEED hose) and its pump side connection - there is rubber O-Ring in that connection which is notorious failure point (use OEM O-rings only!!! - OE code should be: 91370-SV4-000 ) - sometimes you will not see any leaks there but the air can get in and make problems like you describe.

Other thing is main high pressure hose and its hose connection clamps...check if they are dry.

And lastly POWER STEERING RETURN HOSE (nr. 14 at the picture) check nr 22 clamps for tightness.

Those were all my issues with the same symbtoms. I ordered new return hose (nr14) and new clamps for it (because tightening old clamps at old hose didn't fix it totally (only made it 50% better). And changed the O-RIng (nr.23).

If nothing helped then most likely you need to rebuild the pump,so repairkit for it is available here: https://jarusnet.pl/56110-raa-a01fix-polift or https://jarusnet.pl/56110-raa-a01fix (depends of the year you got.

Hope you get it sorted :)

B__3362.gif