What's new

Struggling to select any gears :(

immy786

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
Hi everyone I have a major issue any help is appreciated.

I'm really struggling to select any gear whilst the engine is running, it's the same when stationary or moving. If the engine is off then it's much easier but still notchy.

Gearbox oil has been changed recently with honda mtf fluid. The clutch is not slipping. Clutch release bearing is a little noisy. Clutch fluid is just below max.

Any help is appreciated I really have to force it into gear whilst driving.

Help please anyone and everyone

Cheers :)

Sounds like an hydrolic problem. Could be clutch master cylinder. How does the pedal feel?

I agree with TypeR... try bleeding the clutch hydraulic system as a first step, but this is likely to be a temporary fix at best. You probably need a new master or slave cylinder.

I had the clutch bled. It had somehow picked up air but a thorough going over found no culprit might be Slave cylinder failing but I'll monitor it :)

If the discharged fluid came out thick and black at the beginning of the bleed process, then it's probably the slave cylinder seals beginning to fail.

Hi immy (or anyone)
I've a FRV 2.2CDti and we're finding gear selection notchy and sometimes the gear teeth grate, especially lower ones and when selecting to pull away. The clutch fluid is filled to the correct level and the clutch isn't slipping. It's my wife's car, but to me there only feels to be half a pedal. the clutch also drags when fully depressed. I don't want to pay £1000 to replace the clutch and flywheel if this isn't the problem. What would you do?
Thanks
James

My wife's petrol civic had the same problem.
It was down to the amount of wear on the friction plate.

Felt like half the clutch pedal as you say, top half of the movement was all slack, and not spongy like air in the system.

As there was no adjuster to take up the difference, I made up a new over-length push rod to use up the rest of the clutch material before I had to replace the clutch.

That was 3 years ago. It still hasn't worn the clutch out yet.

When an OE clutch reaches its minimum serviceable thickness (according to Honda) it's still only halfway to the rivets.

I'm banking on it squealing when the rivets finally meet up with the flywheel. The car's fourteen years old already and she's very easy on it.
We're approaching the point where a new clutch fitted, is worth as much as the car.

Thanks Goodluckmonkey

So looks like the clutch, because the problem is that the clutch doesn't disengage (slip) as freely as it's supposed to when we press the pedal.

It drags when the clutch is depressed but doesn't slip when not depressed. It took me a while to get my head round this.

The only confusing thing is that the problem started as intermittent, but I think it's slowly getting consistently worse. (That's why I'd hoped it was the hydraulics), but now I understand more, I can see where you're coming from. I doubt our garage will want to carry out your 'repair' though.

Thanks again

James

Yep, the clutch can't lift the friction plate clear from the flywheel. Unless it has an obvious fluid leak, it'll probably need a new pressure plate and friction plate.

The civic wears upside-down, with the clutch getting nearer the floor. I'm ***uming your accord's doing the same.

Goodluckmonkey said:
Yep, the clutch can't lift the friction plate clear from the flywheel. Unless it has an obvious fluid leak, it'll probably need a new pressure plate and friction plate.

The civic wears upside-down, with the clutch getting nearer the floor. I'm ***uming your accord's doing the same.
He (James) says it's an FRV, but I can confirm that my Accord also wore out the same way. On mine, the fingers on the pressure-plate were worn, so I had to put my foot right down to the floor (and I mean, right down, any further and it would have gone through the floor LOL)

Yeah, that's it. I just didn't want to ***ume it was the same deal with the N22A motors as a little 1600 petrol.

On a lot of cars, they go the other way, and the biting point moves up and up till it slips.
Trust Honda to be different!

Thanks folk, might as well laugh instead of cry. Having nightmares about wife riding clutch at junctions. lol

Yeah, no point getting annoyed at things like this. It's just another consumable part after all.

I don't even get upset about changing parts anymore. If I'm keeping the car 3 or 4 years, I'll wear out everything on it, and know I'll be changing most components at some point.
Normally just a case of when as opposed to if.

The cost of maintenance will always pale in comparison to the amount of fuel you'll put through a vehicle anyway.