What's new

stuck on slam panel / radiator cover after grill change

Tiberious SG

Members
Reaction score
Car
04 Reg CDTI 2.2
So I changed the exec grille on my Preface lift i-cdti 0 accord on Sunday after doing the rear and front red badge conversion,

However what should have been a fairly easy mod as been a real issue for me.

The Sports grille I purchased had the four Clip brackets missing from the lower half, ( I didn't know they were missing until i removed the executive one.

33D03C2F-9730-4308-9156-48C5F9497B08-3866-000006792E21531B.jpg

Also one of the top four clip brackets ( third from the left) was hanging on by a sliver of plastic, and even with a bit of Araldite has broken off leaving me with only three top brackets for clips to affix the grille.

The four lower clips in the Executive grille on my car had gone from normal to brittle to fossilized and took a good hour to remove to allow removal of the original grille, (I suspect this was how my replacement grille came to be missing its lower brackets).

BE9C1C5F-BA4D-44B8-9A95-A3BE0FF87F72-3866-00000678E87A0F29.jpg

Then after using a hot glue gun to secure the lower portion of the new sports grille,

A3F0E46B-416D-4C7E-A899-5D1356E95543-3866-0000067945049D71.jpg

then using only two of the upper clips to secure the top of my new sports grille, I found that the original Executive Slam panel or radiator cover (big plastic plate that goes between the bonnet and the top of the grill, it is affixed by clips. Is the wrong shape and will not fit with the new sports hexagonal grille.)

So I jumped on Ebay and ordered a Mk7 05 Sports panel (it doesn't fit either !)

So what I though was going to be an easy mod has turned out to be a real problem.

I'm even thinking of modifying the incorrect panel I have from Ebay to do the job now.
Can somebody with a sports model take a picture of their panel for me, or if anyone has done this mod before am I missing something like modifying the exec panel?

I should add that the grille is installed on the car but the car has no slam panel and I am not happy that it is only held in place by the two top push clips and some hot glue on the snap lip of the lower apex, so this mod is still not completed at least until I sort the slam panel out or maybe use some tie clips for extra stability any ideas please feel free to share.

E2D2ACBF-610B-45D6-9B67-18763C99C4F6-4195-000006CD828051B6.jpg

Eventually I will turn this into a proper diy with more photos and a step by step.

bro the pre facelift diesel slam panel needs to be modifeied/cut to accompany the new sports grill, all the slam panels will not from petrol models will not work on the diesel...

You need to get the slam panel from a diesel sport model. Even modifying your original one will not line up.
I can see the grill was damaged to begin with.
I took the slam panel from the car I got my grill from.

that is what happened to me, why cant people remove the grill without beaking all four lower brackets
managed to fit mine (mines petrol btw) without the lower 4 but really dissapointed, people are butchers

Think everyone ***umes the grille is removable by just the top clips and end up tugging til the bottom ones break! I only have one left on my grille but isn't loose at all.