What's new

sub frame bolts

mushaid

Members
Reaction score
Car
honda accord cdti
I bought accord executive 2.2 cdti 2006 done 55,000 car few weeks ago from a arnold clark garage in Dundee after driving for a few days i noticed that I was getting feeling that something was lose on the steering column every time I set off turning left or right so took it to my local arnold clark and they tightened some bolts on the steering sub frame and it was OK for about a week now it's feeling the same again and they tightened it second time in a week or so and they are saying it's a 9 year old car that's why it's doing that. So I said to them it has to be the bolts or the bushes that giving way. Has any body had this problem

The lower control arm compliance bushes could be shot. I had to do mine. It's very easy to tell you can see them between the front wheel and the arch. The arm should sit in the middle of the cup (frame) if it is sitting at the bottom the bushes are knackered. Very common on the accord.

That one looks shot to me. If the car is parked on level ground.

That's a control arm bush.

Can't quite see how the subframe bolts could be undoing themselves though, so they must mean another part?

If that's the problem, all they're doing is compressing fatigued mounting rubbers more each time.
Repeatedly doing them up won't make the problem go away, just put off the work. They need changing.

the garage is saying they donot see the problem but out of goodwill will change only the bolts. what should i do ? will that fix the fault ? is it possiable that the bolts could be faulty or am i just wasting my time ? and that the garage is just fobbing me off by this half hearted goodwill ?

Note that there is a "steering hanger beam" on which the steering column "hangs". If that is loose, likewise I'd be worried.

Finally, the steering rack is fixed to the main "sub frame", if the rack is loose and they keep tightening those bolts, again I'd be worried.

Does this garage know what they are doing, or alternatively, are you sure you haven't misunderstood what they are doing ? [ this is what some 1 on a different website have said]

mushaid said:
the garage is saying they donot see the problem but out of goodwill will change only the bolts. what should i do ? will that fix the fault ? is it possiable that the bolts could be faulty or am i just wasting my time ? and that the garage is just fobbing me off by this half hearted goodwill ?
take it to the RAC or AA for a vehicle inspection, if it fails the inspection you have statutory rights to demand it is fixed properly, or to get your money back

http://www.rac.co.uk/buying-a-car/vehicle-inspections

https://www.theaa.com/vehicle-inspections/prices.html

edit: I'm ***uming you bought the car recently, the more recently you bought it, the stronger your case, how long ago ?

mushaid said:
is it not better to go to a honda dealer
you could, but it will probably cost as much as AA or RAC inspection, and an inspection by a Honda dealer may not be as comprehensive, or be accredited to the same extent

phone the nearest anyway for a quote, but the conversation could get convoluted compared with AA or RAC

ARNOLD CLARK have lied and wasted my time. Lie number [1] when you buy a used car from them it comes with 14 day money back guarantee if you are not happy for any reason. The car sales manager at KINGSWAY EAST IN DUNDEE Mr Dale Charite gave me his word that he would get it fixed and then after the 14 days had passed went back on his word. Lie number [2] other branch in PRESTON , HARTINGTIN ROAD delayed the repair to over the 2 months warranty period and when that had expired, So now have said they no longer can help me. SO NOW I AM LEFT WITH A FAULTY STEERING RACK WHICH I HAVE TO PAY FOR MY SELF TO FIX.

you can get it repaired by a 3rd party and then take the dealer to small claims court for the cost of the repair

that is 1 option, for now i have opened a dispute case with my credit card company because i paid by card.

talk to your credit card company before you do anything else, they will advise you what they can and cannot do to sort this out

I think you have to inform a credit card company within 3 months of the purchase, so get cracking (they may give you a few days of grace).

At one extreme the credit card company may say that you can take the car back, then the credit card company refunds you, and they claw the money back from the dealer. At the other extreme they may say it's only a partial refund at this stage. Or they may cover the cost of the repair and claw it back from the dealer.

In any event, the credit card company will want independent evidence (which is why I recommended AA or RAC inspection)