What's new

Sump plate

Accord125

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.2 I-CTDI EXECUTIVE
My mate had is oil changed on his accord, upon relising after he had changed the oil. He noticed the area around the sump nut had cracked and oil was dripping

Can any one answer on how this could have happened?

Would be grateful.

Was the nut overtightened?

I doubt it is metal fatigue...

Hi Dan

This is what we are thinking has happened. Could this be possible to over tight and cause the crack.

I suppose in theory if they have overtightened the nut the repeated change from hot to cold from using the engine could have stressed it and caused the crack.

But the sump is aluminium so I though stripping the thread would have been more likely if it was overtightened.

Also they have a crush washer on there as well which I thought would have deformed rather than transfer the stress to the sump had the nut been overtightened. But if it has been overtightened without a washer on there that might cause it?!? Just thinking out loud now. lol

Might just have been a bad casting when it was made and developed a stress fracture.

But I don't think you will ever know for certain as the damage could have been caused a while ago and only now developed into a noticeable issue.

Those thoughts were lurking at the back of my min too doc. Perhaps some numpty used an impact wrench. Either it looks like new sump time.

Which brings me nicely on to my first bath time foray onto lings with my new tablet acquisition :)

Well semi successful. Lingsvwant just shy of £300 for one, but I haven't figured out how to paste pictures and links just yet.

Still enjoying jean -luc-piccard in the bath sensations :)
Anyway, time to look at salvage yards bud.

Ok... think I sussed it....

http://www.hondaoriginalparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=17SEA701&block_02=E__4400&block_03=3162

I think over tightening has played some part in this. He could of had an impact too