What's new

Sump washer

AndyB1976

Members
Reaction score
Car
2002 F18B2 CG8
Hello guys,

I remember reading the DIY service on the old new THAOC :)........what way round does the crush washer go? Matt or shiny side to sump or does it not really matter?

Cheers

Andy

Good question, I don't think it matters (or at least I hope it doesn't as I've never paid attention to it when renewing mine on oil changes).

Can't see how it matters...

^^^ And he's a plummer, goes by the name of Mario by day.. :rolleyes: Washers/Nuts/Bolts/Saving the Princess is all part of his day job.

As long as you don't mind paying my fee that is :rolleyes:.

I'm sorry guys, i'm with Andy on this one, why go into all the bother of making one side shiny and one side matt if it wasn't for a reason

Not changed the oil myself yet (but will be soon so need to know)

Andy this is how my mind would approach this issue ......

I would say if there is a shiny side and a matt side there has to be a reason and it ain't to look good.

Presumably the sump drain hole is machine finished, which would give the better seal the smooth flat side or the rough matt side ?

Personally on this I would go with the Shiny to the sump.

But.....

Is the shiny side just there to tell you the washer has been used before and you need to use a new one?

Maybe the old washer would give an indication of which way it was fitted.

But .....

What happens if the old washer was put on wrong?

Has anyone checked the handbook BTW
:rolleyes:

wow i've never noticed and just fired it on anywhich way :rolleyes:

well if enough people have changed it with no probs and not paid attention to which way round, I would say it probably doesnt matter!

It does matter what side is fitted to the sump, I believe the washer is made of two types of metal, one side soft (matt side) the other hard. The soft side goes to the sump.

Well I think I am right

Most crush washers are made out of two different strength metals the shinny side is harder and is supposed to go the bolt side so the dull softer crush part can make an effective seal against the sump. I dont think it matter too much but thats what I was always taught.

ah well, I stand corrected, but i suppose if people arent having issues with leaks, then it isnt too much of an issue. But shinny side down from now on... :ph34r:

Most crush washers are made out of two different strength metals the shinny side is harder and is supposed to go the bolt side so the dull softer crush part can make an effective seal against the sump. I dont think it matter too much but thats what I was always taught.

Well that shows there is a reason, clearly my theory was wrong (I thought shiny side to sump), but now I know, plus that explains why it is important to use a new washer.

Thanks Andy

Thanks for clearing it up guys :)

God bless the custom search box - was just fighting with this question :lol:

So nice having a relaxing car service - no rushing - no spillages - YET :lol:

Must be service your graphite tourer day then lol as I've just done oil and filter this morning! Found a great container for draining into as well a 10L adblue container works great and the flexible spout is handy for transferring it into my 25L waste oil drum and best of all it was free!

i lost count of how many litres of oil i added whilst perving the neighbour's girlfriend :lol:

just waiting a few minutes for it to settle...trying to decide if it is too windy for snow foam. hhhhmmm?

Supposed to have done an oil change today, but too scared of doing it wrong - I'll probably wuss out and take it to a garage again.