What's new

Sunroof leak

Freeloader150

Reaction score
Car
2.0 EX Tourer
2007 2.0 EX Tourer

I Have an issue with the sunroof causing water to leak into the headlining.

I've removed the headlining and checked all the drain outlets [they appear to be allowing water to escape]. Water is spilling over from the drainage channel in the sunroof ***embly and running along the headlining until it can find a place to escape [plastic trim above the nearside rear window].

The car is parked on a slight slope, although sometimes the leak isn't apparent until the car is driven and water runs back.

Anybody had this problem or know what's causing it? Any idea for a cure would be appreciated.

Are you 100% its from the sunroof?
I had a leak in my Avensis estate which was a pain to find, I pulled all kinds of things away and sealed them but in the end I found the problem was the paint/sealer used to waterproof the joins in the body at the boot and the mounting stud in the roof channel for the roofrails, there was a tiny crack in the paint due to movement from the roof rails and body and water would sit in the channel and leak into the boot when parked a certain way.
I cured it by removing the cover strip and using Tec7 sealer around the stud for the roof rail and along the body joint. Car was bone dry after that when previously it would fill the spare wheel well with water.

If there fitted it's your roof bars Iv come across this a few times.
Probably where they are fitted to the roof.
Check for corrosion around the fixings points.

Thanks for the replies:
I've already had the roof bars off and it all looks solid underneath with no sign of rust. I doubt it's the roof bars or bodywork as I poured water directly into the sunroof channels [the bit under the sunroof that's seen when it's opened] and watched water come out from sunroof ***embly that's normally covered by the headlining. There was no water on the roof at the time.

Not a huge amount of water getting in under normal conditions [whatever that may be for UK rainfall] - tends to leave a few wet spots rather than puddles. It's even more annoying in some ways as doesn't seem worth dismantling the car to try and find a fairly minor problem. That said getting the headlining off was not fun!

Get an air hose and blow the channels clear, if you could see where the water came from inside the car surely you can pinpoint the problem area/s and reseal?

The leak continued. The drains were not blocked and it was definitely coming from the sunroof,

I removed the headliner to get a better look. There was nothing blocking the draining channels leading up to the drain outlet.When I poured water into these channels they were overflowing onto the headliner below [if it was in place] and leaving at the earliest opportunity.

With the headliner off I could see this was happening on both sides of the sunroof meaning it was probably not a fault with the drains/gutters just too much water getting in.

The seal around the sunroof appeared OK, but when I started to pull at it it appeared to have been compressed. I freed it up a bit, closed the roof [now the rubber squeaked as it closed] and poured water onto the roof..

Small amount of water came in, but nothing like previously. It would have to be a serious downpour to equal the amount of water I put on too.

As there's no rust from the ingress[water gets in runs along the roofliner and exits onto the boot] and not much water getting in I can live with it.