What's new

Super low MPG on Tourer '05 2.0 Auto

RA55

Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer '05
Hi there. I was hoping that someone might put in the right direction but at the moment, after a few failed garage visits and sh*t services, I am struggling to understand my car.

I have Tourer 2.0l auto, 05 plate. Initially, then I bought the car, I was able to get around 360+ (cruising long-distance close 450) miles from the tank but recently it went pretty bad (below 300). Averaging about 13-15MPG at the moment no matter how I drive it (mostly city). One garage advised to add fuel additive to the tank but that only made things worse, 60l went bust in less than 200 miles. Gearbox has been hesitant as well a little. Could it all add? Where would you look for increased fuel consumption? Oil change, sparks, gearbox or just a good service time? Reading different forums and information try to understand the issue.

Do any of the wheels get hot from binding brakes?

I haven't checked this one just yet but found a similar reply, common problem by the sound of it. I will try to check it today. Any particular way? Just drive for some time and then touch?

Yep if they're binding then the alloy wheel itself gets warm or hot - so feel for heat before touching!

Yep if they're binding then the alloy wheel itself gets warm or hot - so feel for heat before touching!

Wheels are OK, maybe front driver side a bit warmer than all other, but disks are pretty hot :rolleyes:

Sounds okay then, if it was a problem it would probably heat the wheels. Maybe just down to more city driving and winter cold being heavier on fuel. You could see if it improves when it warms up in Spring.

With petrol vehicles the first test I would do is check what is coming out of the exhaust, if it smells of petrol then you are looking at incorrect burning ratios as it goes through the system.
Check air filter for greasy dirt on the fabric, but also verify the incoming pipe hasn't got crushed or something jammed in it.
If nothing sticks out the next is tools and getting the spark plugs out to check for a light brown colour, or not. If you have not invested in a simple OBD2 module then do it now, wifi ones are less than £20 delivered and will give you a real time diagnostic on a run, which could identify if there is a particular engine speed where things are problematic.

Put an old bedsheet under the rear of the car and have a sniff in the morning, just in case there is a leak from the tank, or feeder pipes.

Could anyone be syphoning fuel out when it is parked up ?

With petrol vehicles the first test I would do is check what is coming out of the exhaust, if it smells of petrol then you are looking at incorrect burning ratios as it goes through the system.
Check air filter for greasy dirt on the fabric, but also verify the incoming pipe hasn't got crushed or something jammed in it.
If nothing sticks out the next is tools and getting the spark plugs out to check for a light brown colour, or not. If you have not invested in a simple OBD2 module then do it now, wifi ones are less than £20 delivered and will give you a real time diagnostic on a run, which could identify if there is a particular engine speed where things are problematic.

Put an old bedsheet under the rear of the car and have a sniff in the morning, just in case there is a leak from the tank, or feeder pipes.

Could anyone be syphoning fuel out when it is parked up ?

Thanks for this. Insightful, I will go through with all those recommendations and will report back.

try liqui moly for petrol engines...
but also have a look at cleaning your EGR and the egr plate, pretty easyish to do them... coz I've got an 03 CL7 with nearly 190k miles on the clock, and it gives me around 34 MPG with mixed driving, and I'm often slightly heavy footed...

ah sorry, didn't realise, you're using an auto, mines a manual

Manual will always be better, had to get an auto to accommodate GF but she even doesn't want to drive it (too big).
I tent do switch to manual mode and change gears myself but I think Tourer just needs a proper service and bring it up to date.

13-15mpg will be a issue causing it. My V8 M3 did 16mpg around town worst case.

No-fault codes from ECU coming through, now to find time to do all other stuff...brakes and spark plugs on the list with oils to follow up.

A slight improvement on the consumption, 18MPG. Higher tyre pressure and recently added Shell 98 half tank, the car is now more responsive and gears are smoother. Probably was clogged up somewhere. Took the car to the service as MOT is due as well soon, only issues they found was upper ball joint and antiroll bar d bushes (just slight movement). They could not find any fault codes, took the car for good 10 miles trip as well.

I forgot to ask the mileage last time. Some vehicles may never return better MPG after they have been round the clock, or the previous owner has neglected an oil change or three.

If you have a compression meter then this could verify excessive cylinder bore or valve wear, and weighing up if a full service is actually worth it, or buying a tub of piston seal.

I forgot to ask the mileage last time. Some vehicles may never return better MPG after they have been round the clock, or the previous owner has neglected an oil change or three.

If you have a compression meter then this could verify excessive cylinder bore or valve wear, and weighing up if a full service is actually worth it, or buying a tub of piston seal.

157k at the moment but was serviced pretty much every year wit previous owner (log book).

I have a compression meter here, but not sure if the spark plug adapters are compatible with the Accord, what thread are they ?