What's new

Suspected oil leak

Shiresy

Members
Reaction score
Car
06 Accord Tourer
Hi guys
I have a 2006 ICTDI Tourer today while doing my tyre pressures something caught my attention around the steering rack boot on the drivers side, at first I thought it was PSF but when I looked further it was definitely engine oil, it was in the grooves on the boot for about a inch from the rack end it is also present on the frame under the boot and a little further forward, I chased the trail all the way up to the top by this time I was under the bonnet, I could see it down the side on the timing chain cover and on the small pipe that comes out of the block just under the top engine cover under the oil filler cap, at this point I am quite concerned, first job check the dipstick oil was where it was last time I checked it, next job get me hand in there with a clean rag now when I wiped some off it was definitely engine oil but it was clean engine oil, I had the oil and filter changed about 3 weeks ago could I be thinking right here that there could have been a spillage on filling and it's run down and flown about a bit, so I have cleaned the area up with de greaser and will have to see what happens,
Any thoughts on this one.

At the back of the block on the drivers side? It'd be the feed to the turbo from memory.

That location is where the high pressure PAS lines always seemake to leak though, peeing PSF down the back of the block, all over the rack and the subframe. Double check the level in your PSF reservoir.

Funny you mention PSF Matt I had to drop 200ml in there at the weekend to bring it up to level, but I have been checking it every day since I topped it off and it hasn't gone down, I have done about 150 miles since topping it up, I had difficulty getting the fluid as Halfords couldn't sell me any Euro car parts don't list any nor does Andrew page, so it was a tootle off to Honda for the proper stuff.

Probably for the best fluid wise, I've heard using non genuine can affect pump performance and possibly damage in the long term.

So true I read somewhere if you mix Honda fluid with generic if turns to foam and spews out of the res

When I had a massive leak I put almost a whole res. Worth of 5wt fork oil in mine for 2 days (208 miles) to get me to the weekend to fix it.
Racing off road, that stuff takes a huge hammering and doesn't really suffer too much with cavitation, hence it being the most suitable stuff I had on the garage shelf. Didn't froth or do anything weird.

Fixed it, flushed it, put honda PSF back in it, no problems.

The more I think about this the more I am thinking Matt could be right here that the high pressure hose is weeping, just seen how much they are for genuine Honda I fell off the sofa it was lings Honda or something it was listed at £286