What's new

Swapping out diesel navigation unit for regular head unit

ExpandWeiner

Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord 2004
Hello everyone, I've been thinking about swapping out the Navi unit in my 2004 diesel for the regular head unit (still premium sound, auto climate and 6cd changer).
I'm doing this because A) the Navi functionality is useless, B) the delay before being able to change A/C settings and C) just can't be bothered with an Android unit.

What I'm wondering is if there's compatibility concerns between petrol and diesel units? Has anyone done this?

What I'm wondering is if there's compatibility concerns between petrol and diesel units? Has anyone done this?

I would be very careful with this. The AC and heating work differently on the diesel and petrol models.

On the slow warming diesel, the AC ***ists heating with a condenser bypass circuit. This stops refrigerant exiting the compressor from losing its heat to outside airflow and dumps it into the ventilation system instead. This is not a true "reverse cycle" heatpump, but a kind of crude method for scavenging mechanical energy and convert it into warm air to ***ist initial cabin heating.

AFAIK the controls for this are integrated in the head unit, and is the reason why e.g. aftermarket android units mess up the climate control on the diesels, but work fine on the petrol models. So try to find a non-navi diesel head unit.