What's new

Tailgate issues

Garyb64

Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord Tourer
Hi there I have bought my wife a 2004 Accord Tourer however the tailgate is causing me issues sometimes it comes down under power using the key fob or sometimes using the button on the gate however most times it makes several beeps goes up and down a bit then stops
It never opens using the button again just beeps unlocks/locks and that's it. A storage thing is the lights in the boot work but only briefly when the lock undoes then they go out again is this linked to my problems?
Any ideas I have tried the time honoured battery disconnect, I understand the tailgate has its own ECU where is this located and where do you find the fault codes or is it best to go to my local Honda dealer?
Thanks
GB

It might be a sensor problem, there are four sensors, two each side (upper and lower) to prevent the tailgate from closing when there's an obstruction, they're behind the tailgate trim I think, maybe they've come loose or a bad connection? There are also support stays/struts in the roof that wear out and can prevent the tailgate opening and closing properly, someone has posted on here about replacing theirs. The boot lights might be related if they share an earth or something with the sensors but this seems unlikely, probably just a result of the tailgate not opening properly. A good dealer might be the best bet for diagnosis but expect a big bill for repairs.

Sounds similar to what mine was doing when I first purchased my tourer. Would usually go down on power but intermittently go up with power, if you opened it using remote and slightly ***ist it with fingers it would work.

Mine turned out to be the motor, I got motor and ecu off ebay.

It's located in the head liner inside the boot. If you look into the boot from the rear, look at the left side of the roof liner you'll see it dips...thats where it sits.

Honda will charge over £800 for parts so I'd investigate ebay or local scrappy 1st!!

Im pretty sure the motors just get weak after a while, I also changed the gas struts to help it out.

I seem to recall that certain tailgate motors were subject to an extended warranty from Honda UK as the motor clutch failed early.
There was a range of VIN's affected, face lift versions had a different motor fitted

Mines did the same. When fully open, pull the door down a wee bit and press the button. If it closes then its the boot struts need replacing