What's new

Tailgate Open light on and wont lock with keyfob

dionysius

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.4EX tourer auto
I have a 2006 Facelift 2.4 EX Estate with the power tailgate.

The Tailgate Open light is lit on the dash (the one which is on the bottm of the small car picture).

The tailgate opens and closes fine both manually and with the power open and close.

However the car wont lock on the keyfob and the interior light in the roof stays on.

I can lock the car by using the drivers door switch then closing the door. It will then open using the fob ok but not lock.

Im ***uming the issue is the switch or sensor that senses whether the tailgate is open or not.

I cant see a convential push in switch like the doors have. I have done some googling and there appear to be some sensors around the edges of the tailgate under the seals. Is it one of these that could be causing the issue and how do test/gain access to them ?

Anything else i shoukd be looking at ?

Cheers in advance

David

Doing some further investigation the boot lights go out when it closes and it locks OK with the key.

Alarm went off last night for no reason which has never happened before either.... I dont know if thats connected

I’m personally not that familiar with all the switches and sensors on the tourer but I do know it’s common for wiring breaks along the hinge line that cause random tailgate issues.

Peel back the lining a bit and remove the wiring trunking to carefully inspect each wire for a break.

Mine lacks the power tailgate, but I had every symptom including the alarm having a life of its own last year after a clogged rear washer nozzle caused a split and a leak... somewhere? the motor would churn, but no liquid ever made it to the nozzle.
I mended the split but could never locate the leak, and the problem just kinda went away after parking in a warm garage with a 3kw heater stuck in the spare tire well.

It began with the dash display claiming the tailgate was open on the way to the shops, opening and closing it ten-ish times sprung the sensor(s?) back to life, or perhaps it pushed some moisture out of it/them?
The same night as it got colder, I woke up at 2am to flickering lights and the alarm going haywire, the same thing happened the following night, I was pointed to the dreaded failing siren battery, but after getting the rear end nice and toasty that one time it's been alright.

Not sure if this is related, but I had a bizarre issue with mine the other day. Central locking wouldn't lock and the tailgate wouldn't lock manually either. Tailgate dash light was on so I tried the 'leave tailgate open, disconnect neg on battery, reconnect battery, start car then close the tailgate trick' and it sorted everything out.

Thankfully. But it sounds like your having different issues.

Not sure if this is related, but I had a bizarre issue with mine the other day. Central locking wouldn't lock and the tailgate wouldn't lock manually either. Tailgate dash light was on so I tried the 'leave tailgate open, disconnect neg on battery, reconnect battery, start car then close the tailgate trick' and it sorted everything out.

Thankfully. But it sounds like your having different issues.

This will fix issue on temporary basis the cause is always broken wires around hinges