What's new

Testing for leaking door seals/membrane

M16KBK

Members
Reaction score
Car
54reg 2.4 type S
I've noticed a number of people are having trouble with water leaking into footwells and the question of door seals and membrane comes to the fore.
When I purchased my car I had problems with all 4 door seals leaking and it was only 18 months old ???
The mechanic at the dealership showed me how they test the seals membrane and drainage in the doors it's quite simple.
Firstly open the door so you can see the inner of the door and the drain holes
Get a container (bottle) of water.
Pour the water down the outside of the door window.
Observe the inside of the door the water should only come out of the drain holes. If you see water coming from any other area at the bottom of the door then it's a good sign that there's a problem with the membrane inside the door. Probably come unstuck.
I think someone has posted a good thread on how to repair leaking membrane so put both together and you have a solution.
Hope this helps people.

Another possible area which is worth getting checked where water inside the footwells is concerned is the grommet(s) on the bulkhead/footwell.

My car has just come back from the honda dealers who took 2 days to find that the water in my rear passenger foot well was coming from a bad grommet in the NS bulk head / footwell which they resealed.

I have read your. Thread Chris I hope all is ok with it now.
What I have described is how the Honda technician ???? Tested the seals and drainage inside my doors it's something handy to know for future reference.