What's new

theeized rear caliper ithues

ToothlessDrunk

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.4 TypeS estate
So I was driving in my car in the pithin rain , when I stopped at the sainsburys I noticed rather a large steaming happening from the OSR wheel area . Things were definatley hotter than the other side of the car , this can mean only .. I drove through really hot puddles or my brakes are playing silly arsers . I checked the temprature of a nearby puddle and settled on my brakes being the issue . Being a tightwad there is noo way any garage is getting any place near my car so I took it to my workshop this morning for inspection and remedy if possible .

First I did this ...

then I undid those ..

Then after a slight touch of this ...
and the copper hammer , and some tuggin and pullin and swearing at the silly c##ting f###ing heap of c##p I got this .

Pads were also stuck so after some of this and some of the previous words of encouragment they also came out .

I checked the bits that should slide ..

Slide in ...

Slide out

Slide right out ...
As we can see one side was worse than the other and the action was more sticky than smooth ,and it was dry as a bone in there , so I applied some of CAT excavators finest grease to em and worked em in and out till things slipped in as smooth as a seal into silk pyjamas .

Couple of pumps on the brakes brought the piston out a bit .. careful not to pump it right out as then one would have a bigger job to do , at this point I am thinking it's not the piston it is the combination of sticky slides and jammed pads are the problem .
Anyways pumped it out , lifted it's skirt , gave it a squoose of seal friendly non harmful to rubbers plastics etcetc lubricant .

Rear calipers on tourer are straight tub piston type so no caliper rewind tool required , correct size of Gclamp .. in it goes .

It went in pretty easy and felt pretty smooth , I think it is all good at that point , issues are with other things . .. these things ...
Now tightwad scotsman ain't throwing out pads with around 50% wear still on them .. So correct tools for pad refurb were gathered ..

Scrub and rub and some papering at the catchy bits ... Cleeeeeen

Shoved the whole lot back together again ... done the other side as a precautionary .. drove it 20 miles .. wheels as cool as the surrounding puddles . Job is declared as a good un .. time for a nap on the couch .

I am hoping so , will do the pads in the summer and see how the preventatives and repairs have done .

Nice write up mate, one of my callipers seized on my saloon and I just did a very similar operation to fix it. 1.5 years later it has been spot on.

What lubricant did you use on the piston

It's just a spray but without all the silicone and nasties in it that WD40 has . I place an order and it appears by magic in my COSSH cabinet :D

Red rubber type grease went on the slides ,it wasn't red , cos it was CAT so it was a yellow colour . but it is safe around grease seals . pistons got seal safe squoosh for ease of application and it also blasts any bits out rather than stick em to the piston when your doing the job the speedy bodge fashion rather than full strip and rebuild .

Please don't think I was saying you used the wrong stuff Rob, I know you know what you're doing and have access to proper stuff!

Jon_G said:
Please don't think I was saying you used the wrong stuff Rob, I know you know what you're doing and have access to proper stuff!

No No no .. just clarifying what was used and reasons for use . .. ie . quick bodge job .. happened to be to hand and free :lol:

cheaper way to fix it

redneck-car-repair.jpg

Minimum wage requirement and employers NI contributions would kill that as the cheap fix unless you went illegal ... which may be tricky on such a high profile project .