What's new

Thinking of buying a CDTi

Sgoaty

Members
Reaction score
Car
2010 Type S I-DTEC
Hi

I currently drive a 2002 VW Passat TDI ive owned it for the past 6 years and its without a doubt been the best car ive ever owned its cost me very little in terms of repairs but i think its due for a change.

I normally dont like to spend more than about 6k on a car and like to get them with around 60-80K miles. I really like the look of the Accord saloon and they seem be cheaper than VW/Audi of around the same age.

I have a few questions about them.

Are the bodys galvanised if not how prone are they to rust both on the body panels and underneath? My Passat hasnt seen much polish in its day and there isnt any rust on it and its really fresh underneath too i put this down to the galvanised body.

What are the differences between models (Sport, executive etc)?

Are there any common faults to look out for when buying or recalls that should have been done?

What should i expect to get for my budget?

Thanks
Scott

Thanks very much thats just what i was looking for. A few known issues there but i suppose its the same with every car.

Welcome to the forum Scott and happy hunting for your new car

Scott welcome to the site, any questions just ask. The members on here are very friendly. Being an owner of a diesel accord coming up 7 years I've been really pleased with it. Its not missed a beat and to this day holds it ground on the road with its pull

Your right with any car they have there problems. Incidentally I came from a Passat TDI and I had nothing but trouble with it. However so many factors play to that

Thanks for the welcomes.

What can I expect for my money? Should i be able to pick up a late model EX with reasonable mileage comfortably?
Thanks
Scott

Easily be able to pick up an 06-07 plate low mileage ex or sport for that money , many moons ago i also switched from a passat to a 2.4 type s , the passat will somehow feel more solid in build quality doors boot etc but the cabin and driving dynamics of the accord blow it away , the gearbox is one of the best in class . 2 more diesel accords later and never had a problem with either , you will not be dissapointed

I drove a friends type S about 3 years ago and thought it was a real pleasure to drive and had plenty of power I think it was a 2004. I would go for a type S but i think the MPG would come as too big a shock to the system after having diesels for so long :)

Way overpriced in my opinion. And you're right, the seat does look shabby.

As to the wheels, they're the 17" Penta alloys which are Honda OEM. I've got them on my car and I love em. They are prone to blister and flake however. I've had mine refurbished.

Have a look at the car if its close enough, but I wouldn't buy it.

Good luck!

From what I've read if its got a 2 piece exhaust manifold its a walk away job and with the old style aux belt i should be looking to negotiate a discount.

I do like the styling of the wheels i just think they could be done with being an inch bigger.

Welcome to TA Scott... I'd expect something a bit newer for £6k, possibly even a 2010 model (so iDTEC rather than iCTDi).

If you do go 7th gen, then I personally wouldn't care about whether the aux belt was short or long. And the exhaust manifold wouldn't put me off (so long as it definitely wasn't blowing!), but having the older welded manifold (3 bolts for the heat shield, rather than 2) might be a good negotiating point? As would no history of timing chain or clutch replacement.

Sgoaty said:
Ive seen this one locally.

Looks nice but the only criticisms i have is the drivers seat looks a bit tired and the wheels look a little bit too small for the size of the car.
Definitely not show stoppers.

It also seems to be a bit expensive for a private sale (according to wisebuyers)

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/accord/1075101032

What do you guys think?
Thanks
Scott
Definately well overpriced, even if you can get a few hundred quid off it, it is still silly money for that.

How long do the timing chains generally last provided its well serviced. I tend to do most of my own maintenance but that sounds like a job best avoided if possible.

From what I have read the timing chain is not a service item and designed to last the life of the car.
I think this is true for any car with a timing chain

If the oil has not been regularly serviced then the timing chains will start to rattle and eventually snap as the chain relies on the oil for lubrication, when buying check for chain rattle in the engine and when revving it
Oil servicing is key for these engines

Yes, timing chains (actually a cam chain going up from the crank plus an oil pump drive chain going down) should be lifetime items, but are an occasional weak point on the i-CTDi. The tensioners are driven by oil pressure, so the problem is more obvious when hot and ticking-over when the oil pressure drops to the lowest value... it's an odd chafing/rubbing noise that is hard to describe, but is really quite noticeable. I was told by an apparently very knowledgeable Honda technician that the wear is caused by soot forming in the oil during the 12.5k mile service interval being a little too long, so evidence of oil changes at earlier intervals would be good (many owners do this as a wise precaution). It's a frighteningly expensive repair!

There are quite a few YouTube clips demonstrating the chain noise... if you find a Polish one then that sounds exactly like mine did when the chains were knackered!

Jon_G said:
Welcome to TA Scott... I'd expect something a bit newer for £6k, possibly even a 2010 model (so iDTEC rather than iCTDi).

If you do go 7th gen, then I personally wouldn't care about whether the aux belt was short or long. And the exhaust manifold wouldn't put me off (so long as it definitely wasn't blowing!), but having the older welded manifold (3 bolts for the heat shield, rather than 2) might be a good negotiating point? As would no history of timing chain or clutch replacement.
Jon You have gone and done it! I looked at the newer ones a little bit before but I preferred the look of the 7th Gen. Now I've spent a bit more time looking at the GT models with 18" wheels I think I've fallen for them.

There goes my budget! :)