What's new

This is driving me mad. Bad smell.

we encourage you introduce yourself to the site before asking questions. Doing this you'll find more people likely to answer.

Can you just describe on this site the problem your having?

Pseudonym said:
Can you please refer to this thread when answering this question? I've been searching for weeks and I can't seem to find an answer.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/15-7th-generation/359689-help-urgently-needed.html

Firstly I need to know where the evaporator outlet hose is, and secondly I need to know if it's safe to spray klima cleaner etc into it?

Thank you.
I think you've been given the answers in that thread, it's almost certainly coming from the evaporator in the A/C unit.

Have a read through this thread to see where everything is http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/14575-heater-problems/

Note that some of the pictures in the thread are for left-hand-drive (continental version) so your car is mirror image. Click on pictures to get full size btw

Thanks mate,

I actually have a copy of the service manual, but I still couldn't quite work out which one the AC drain was. There was a video posted in that thread I linked to showing the use of cleaner up through the AC drain next to the cat converter on an accord. I found a pipe in the same position on my accord but because the US version is different I wanted to make sure.

I also haven't had a definitive answer on whether it's safe to do that or spray disinfectant directly into the evaporator core in a euro accord/acura tsx. Klima cleaner specifically states it's not for use on Acuras because the ECU is right beneath the centre vents and people's ECU has been destroyed when using air con cleaner through the vents. I've seen no definite answer on whether the evaporator core, or AC drain method circumvents the area where the ECU is housed.

I didn't watch the videos in that thread, but note that "Accord" in the US is not the same as "Accord" in the EU (as you imply, latter is known as "Acura TSX" in US).

In the thread I pointed to in #4, in post #17 there is a picture and a link. Here is the link again ...... http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=17SEA01&block_02=B__1721&block_03=2768%20?

Item 4 is the "sub heater unit" and the ECU is directly beneath it, in the centre console. There are panels left and right on the centre console, if you remove those, you can see the ECU. It comes out fairly easily.

The evaporator (item 16) is left of item 4 , and it can be seen if you remove the glove box completely (latter also comes out fairly easily).

If you remove the glove box and remove (or cover) the ECU, you might be ok spraying the evaporator (***uming that's where the smell is originating from )

I had the same issue with my old 7th Gen. Smell drove me mad.

Tried loads of products and in the end the one that got rid of the smell was one called Airco Breeze. I also replaced the aerosol button with one from another aerosol I had tried which had a long tube attached to it.

I found the drain pipe to the evaporator by leaving the aircon running with the car parked. I then waited for water to start dripping out of it. Then I put the tube I had attached to the airco breeze aerosol up the drain pipe and gave it a blast.

Massive improvement afterwards, but it did come back after a few months. I did find that If I used the aircon all the time it kept it from smelling. Generally it smelt when I'd turned it off for a few days (trying to save fuel!).

Good luck

Thanks for the tips Brian.

Right okay, so here's where I'm up to. I managed to locate the ECU. Decided that it wouldn't be a problem spraying the evaporator. So I cleaned the evaporator and the front vents... Smell greatly reduced.. but none of the disinfectant leaked out of the AC drain, which for me confirms my suspicions that it's blocked. I have tried blowing compressed air/water up it and tried spraying disinfectant up there and that just dripped right back out. Phil, could you possibly take a picture of the drain so I know I'm looking in the right place please? It would be massively appreciated.

Also, I cannot for the life of me find the other end of the drain. In the US version it is definitely in the passenger side footwell.. but it is definitely not there in my car.

What I've noticed is, the drain is on the right hand side of both the UK and the US versions of the car... which leads me to believe there is definitely a different layout for the drain.

AGHHHH

I've seen it when I've been under my car to do an oil change, I think you're in the right place, IIRC it is slightly to the right, and you can see it fairly well (I might go and check under my car in a bit, with a torch)

It's item 18 in that link/picture in that other thread, here is the picture (click to make it full size)

heatr_unit_zpsc48a8814.png

my guess is that it drains from item 4 (called "sub heater unit") which is the main unit inside the centre console

Well thank the lord. And more importantly thanks to everyone who replied. :) I found it.

It's on the driver side coming out of the sub heater unit. There was in fact no blockage. I did have a hunch that any blockage may have been broken down by the disinfectant and cleared out by itself whilst I was driving.

Either way, I'm glad I can stop worrying about it for the time being, as the smell has gone and hopefully should take a good while before it comes back. I was very close to calling a guy out to locate the drainage hose at £40 an hour as well so you guys have saved me some money. Glad I persevered.

It's funny actually though. I knew absolutely nothing about cars previously and would never have thought about ripping carpets up or even jacking it up and having a look underneath, so it may well have been a blessing in disguise!

Thanks again guys!

We just spent a few minutes typing out some directions. You did the donkey-work and IMO that has helped to create a useful thread for anyone else who has the same problem to the same severity.

Okay, so I've noticed that I'm still having slight breathing issues after being in the car, and when I open the door after a journey I can smell a sweet smell. Am I right in thinking this could be coolant? The engine temperature is fine and the heater still works. There is still a slight smell which i couldn't put my finger on previously. I think it was several smells all on top of each other. 1 being the air con, 2 being the previous owner's dog and 3 I'm thinking may be coolant. That smell disappears completely when putting the AC on recirculate and is faint when using fresh air... Also, the smell is stronger when the windows are open.

You know what, I get the feeling it may be the smell of the disinfectant that remained in the system after I cleaned it. The coolant level's too full to realistically have even a small leak.

I doubt if it's a coolant leak, as you'd notice the level going low fairly soon.

What engine is in the car btw ?

2.0 petrol.

I think it's a cracked manifold.. I've been feeling worse and worse as I've been driving it. Almost falling asleep at the wheel. A friend mentioned CO poisoning so I did some digging.

The day after I bought it, the engine made a ticking sound on a cold start. (Still does it every morning) I actually found that thread about the accord manifold problem back then, but put it down to a bearing at the time. Found a few videos and the noise is identical to a manifold leak... /sigh

Plus I get rotten egg smell every 15 minutes or so... the odd bit of exhaust fumes every now and again. Put it down to the AC somehow purging itself but obviously just wishful thinking.

The cracked manifold issue is on the 2.2 diesel, not on either of the petrol models.

I'm not saying that you don't have a problem with exhaust getting into the cabin, just that it is unlikely to be a cracked exhaust manifold on the 2.0

If it is coming from the exhaust, there are other types of leak, possibly some blowing at the manifold gasket. Or it could be that the engine is running rich, and the smell is coming up from the catalytic converter. If this is so, then you need to get it checked ASAP before it ruins the cat.

The other thing that will cause a smell is refrigerant leaking into the cabin (from a leak in the piping or the evaporator)

Yeah, I discounted the refrigerant though, as it was my understanding that the air con would have to be on for the refrigerant to realistically leak at a noticeable level into the cabin. And I usually just have the fan on hot.

I also thought the ticking sound was consistent with a cracked manifold. Do you get that with other exhaust leaks too?

'No warranty on a cracked manifold on a petrol, it was a known issue on the diesel only. On a petrol model, rather than manifold being cracked, more likely that the gasket is blowing'

Just thought i'd keep it all to one thread. If it's the gasket, how would I be able to tell? I really want to minimise repair costs and if I can do it myself I'd prefer to. Would the gasket and the manifold need replacing?

Pseudonym said:
Yeah, I discounted the refrigerant though, as it was my understanding that the air con would have to be on for the refrigerant to realistically leak at a noticeable level into the cabin. And I usually just have the fan on hot.

I also thought the ticking sound was consistent with a cracked manifold. Do you get that with other exhaust leaks too?
If there is a weak point the refrigerant will leak out even if the compressor is not running, but there is only so much to leak out.

A blowing exhaust gasket can also seal as the engine warms up.

Pseudonym said:
'No warranty on a cracked manifold on a petrol, it was a known issue on the diesel only. On a petrol model, rather than manifold being cracked, more likely that the gasket is blowing'

Just thought i'd keep it all to one thread. If it's the gasket, how would I be able to tell? I really want to minimise repair costs and if I can do it myself I'd prefer to. Would the gasket and the manifold need replacing?
With the engine cold, familiarise yourself with the bolts that clamp the exhaust manifold onto the head, and feel if there is a gap as well. When you start the engine, look/feel/smell if there is a leak.

Right.

I've had an ozone generator on it. The dog smell has completely gone, for the first couple of weeks all i could smell was ozone, after that faded I could still smell a distinct sweet smell inside and outside the car, so I came to the conclusion that it was leaking coolant. I was still having breathing issues at this point. I then noticed, that the car emits a constant plume of white smoke from the exhaust. It doesn't die down when the engine is hot. I'm aware that this can be a symptom of head gasket failure.

Anyway, I was still more concerned about the heater core having a leak, and I was getting to the point where I was seriously considering selling the car, so I thought i'd just bang some K-seal in the car as a last ditch attempt to fix it. Well, that was on friday, and touch wood it seems to have completely eliminated the sweet smell...

But, unfortunately there is still white smoke coming from my exhaust, so obviously the K-Seal didn't repair that. I didn't really expect it to in all honesty, but should I get this looked at as a matter of urgency? The coolant levels are not noticeably dropping and the engine temp is fine on the gauge.

Pseudonym said:
Right.

I've had an ozone generator on it. The dog smell has completely gone, for the first couple of weeks all i could smell was ozone, after that faded I could still smell a distinct sweet smell inside and outside the car, so I came to the conclusion that it was leaking coolant. I was still having breathing issues at this point. I then noticed, that the car emits a constant plume of white smoke from the exhaust. It doesn't die down when the engine is hot. I'm aware that this can be a symptom of head gasket failure.

Anyway, I was still more concerned about the heater core having a leak, and I was getting to the point where I was seriously considering selling the car, so I thought i'd just bang some K-seal in the car as a last ditch attempt to fix it. Well, that was on friday, and touch wood it seems to have completely eliminated the sweet smell...

But, unfortunately there is still white smoke coming from my exhaust, so obviously the K-Seal didn't repair that. I didn't really expect it to in all honesty, but should I get this looked at as a matter of urgency? The coolant levels are not noticeably dropping and the engine temp is fine on the gauge.

Are you sure it's "white smoke" and not water vapour ?

Water vapour is always emitted by internal combustion engines because they burn hydro-carbons.

Carbon + Oxygen = CO2 and Hydrogen + Oxygen = H2O (vapour)

At this time of year the H2O vapour is visible, if the coolant is not disappearing then there is no leak. Also look at the oil to see if it's clean without any "froth".

Engine might be running rich btw, that can cause a smell, and the mpg would be affected.

I'm pretty sure it's smoke. A lot of resources have stated that if it was caused by condensation it should stop within half an hour of the engine running. It doesn't. I've also been comparing to other cars I've seen driving about and there is significantly more white smoke being emitted from mine as opposed to others. The coolant is also brown and seems to have darker bits sort of floating in it. I did actually google brown coolant the first time I took my radiator cap off as I wasn't sure if it was normal or not, but didn't find any answers at the time. Now it seems likely that the coolant has been contaminated with oil. I haven't checked the oil yet to see if coolant has gotten in there yet, but I will later.

Also, as I said, the smell does seem to have gone.

edit, also, I'm feeling like the engine might be stuttering a bit, I can't really put my foot down as i have a black box in the car but it feels like it's struggling occasionally, but i'm unsure if it's that or just the suspension.

White smoke in a petrol engine at idle or low revs, that is real white smoke (not water vapour), is caused by oil getting into the cylinders, either past the piston rings, or down the valve guides.

Visible water vapour at this time of year is not unusual, it doesn't matter whether other cars emit visible water vapour or not.

If you are not losing coolant or oil, then what you are seeing is natural.

If the coolant is brown, it indicates rusting in the engine, and you need to get it changed ASAP.

There is also the possibility that exhaust gas is being blown into the coolant, but this is almost always accompanied by coolant being sucked back in, and you will lose coolant at a noticeable rate.

Basically, if you are not replacing coolant and the level is not going down, I don't see how it can be getting into the cylinders or elsewhere.

Exactly. When a head gasket goes between a waterway and a cylinder, it draws it into the combustion chamber and your car becomes a steam train.

Isn't there a dye you can throw on the cooling system to test for the presence of exhaust gases??

Goodluckmonkey said:
Isn't there a dye you can throw on the cooling system to test for the presence of exhaust gases??
yeah I'd forgotten about that, it's called "block tester", put that into youtube or and/or ebay, basically there's a fluid and you draw up the air from the cooling system into the fluid, which changes colour if exhaust gas is in the air in the cooling system